Makeover: What would you put here?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm doing a complete makeover in my backyard right now and I will be at this section soon and need some ideas.

This section faces west and is filtered / mostly shade. I am visioning maybe something "taller" along the fence but I just don't know what.
On the opposite side I am doing a huge hosta garden.

(Ignore the white paint. I had marked that for some illustris colocasia, but I'm not sure yet. http://www.agristarts.com/colo_illustris.htm )

What would you put here?

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Because of facing west,is it an extra high heat area?

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

West tennessee has really hot summers usually, but because of all the shade I have, I think it's a bit cooler.

I'm not sure how tall you want the backround plants.Camellias might look nice or a 'Black Lace' Elderberry.You could also have a trellis on part of the fence.A small tree with an interesting shape could be an interesting focal point,such as a weeping or contorted plant.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If it's just filtered shade you'd probably do well to do camellias. They are slow to take off but really do make a difference in the shade garden when you have fence to cover.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I didn't know what they were until I went and looked on google. Wow, those are really pretty! Are they a vine?

No,they are shrubs.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

ok, so shrubs that grow upwards I guess.
From the pics on google, that might not be a bad idea. They are really pretty. I'll have to read up on them b/c I obviously have never had one.

I have been considering clematis. There are several varieties that do well is some shade, I was just looking for other options to think about.

I think with your TN sun and a west exposure you will find many plants that like sun will grow there,even with some shade.Here in zone 5a,even though we have hot summers,and quite a lot of humidity some plants will fry on the west side.My cacti have even scorched.My best suggestion is to look at what grows under those conditions in your area,observe what they are selling at local stores and most important talk to gardeners from your area in person or here on DG.Clematis have to have the roots shaded to get them started.
Lynn

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

A climbing hydrangea would be a good vine for the fence.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I've tried Hydrangea petiolaris on a fence. It wouldn't cling because the wood was too smooth. I have another one growing up a tree trunk and it's going great guns. They need a slightly roughend surface.

Thumbnail by snapple45
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Oooh, so much green hurts my eyes (kidding)! It looks fantastic - really makes me wish for Spring!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.