Need help choosing a book on Irises...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello All :)

I looked at all the ones on the "sticky" thread that has been recommended. I'm leaning toward the "The Iris Book" by Molly Price...
I also saw a book called "The Siberian Iris" by Currier McEwen...

I would like to dive right in and be able to hybridize for even just one seed this year. I'm I possibly a tad over ambitious? Perhaps...LOL

Any suggestions for a good picture/descriptive/ "how to" book?

Susan

South Hamilton, MA

Molly Price has good information, but cultivars listed are older, dating from when it was written. I would recommend The gardener's iris book by Wm Shears instead. The Siberian Iris--McEwen was the latest one on that classification.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello IrisMA,

I appreciate the advice...Thanks bunches! I'll go and order it from Barnes and Noble and pic it up when it comes in. Reading the book will definately help pass the time and I am definately at the beginning of this huge learning curve. I can't wait to expand my brain...and our garden...HAHA!

South Hamilton, MA

Do you go to Lincoln Iris Society meetings? Listen to them, not all is in books--but I think you will like gardener's iris book, covers a great many iris types.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No, because I only started getting interested in Daylilies about 2 weeks ago...and Irises just less than a week now. So these are brand new flowers for me to grow!
I've grown Several Salvias, Agastaches, Coneflowers, Cosmos, Zinnias, Roses, a Canna, Crocosmia, and several other plants...but never Irises or Daylilies til this year :)

I think if I read a book before going to any meetings would be a better way to go so I don't drive the other members crazy with all my beginner questions which can be tiring after awhile I'm sure. Besides, it would be nice to know what the others are talking about when discussing a certain aspect instead of sitting there DUH! hehehe

This message was edited Feb 8, 2009 4:23 PM

South Hamilton, MA

Looks like you will have a great garden this yr.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

If you are interested in siberians the book by Currier McEwen will tell you everything you need to know about hybridizing, and then some. It's really the bible for siberians. It has all the info you need to choose and grow sibs.

If you want a book, with a LOT of pictures, and great info on all the irises, the book Irises by Claire Austin is great.

Iris MA would know better than I on bearded. I do have the Shear book, and it's very good.

And don't worry about asking questions at the club meetings. I wish we had some newbies to liven the place up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.