Camellias

Coushatta, LA

I think Camellias are a beautiful winter/spring flower.They come in all different shapes and sizes.My self i love the ones that really just stand out their were you can see them.I think they are beautiful when they just cover the big Shrubs.

This one is called Giulio Nuccio and it is a big and beautiful flower.It can grow in height 12ft and spread 10ft.

Thumbnail by TheAngelGirl
Coushatta, LA

This is another Camellia called Mathotiana,and it is beautiful as well.It grows 10ft height and 10ft spread.

Coushatta, LA

This is the Shrub that Giulio Nuccio came off of.

Coushatta, LA

This is the Shrub that Mathotiana came off of.

Coushatta, LA

This is the Shrub Professor Sargeant is gets BIG.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2009 8:02 PM

Coushatta, LA

another one.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

What size were they when you planted them? Do you have to pruned them or shape them?

Coushatta, LA

Deborah,i don't know. I think that Shrub is about 40 years old.They have been their for years but my hubby kept cutting them back.They were planted as small plants.You don't have to pruned them back if you don't want too.I think the bigger they are more they are beautiful.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 3:18 PM

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

You know you've just got me interested in more camillias. LOL

Coushatta, LA

I know that is what i want you all to do.They are such beauties.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Cody the Camillia enabler. LOL

Coushatta, LA

Thanks Deborah you are very sweet.

Coushatta, LA

Deborah,i think the Professor Sargeant Camellia is about 40 years old.It would be bigger then that but they kept it pruned back.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Those of us in more northerly climes have to baby our camellias.
But it's worth it.
Here's one of mine overwintering in the garage which is in full bloom.
I can't tell you what cultivar, since it was mislabeled.
I didn't take it back, because I like it anyway.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Coushatta, LA

That is a pretty one.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Y'all have inspired me to plant some around my pine trees. I need more color in winter. And Camillias will do the trick. The only two camellias I have are Yule Tide and I planted them on each side of my front door steps to my front porch.

Coushatta, LA

I'm so proud of you Deborah.The side of my house is nothing be Camellias.I will have to keep the trimed because they are so close to each other.So when fall comes at lease one side of my house will have so color to it.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Cody! Keep posting pics of your blooms. They are awe-inspiring!

Coushatta, LA

Deborah,i have two more threads on that forum for camellias find them and look at them.You are very welcome.

Baton Rouge, LA

RoseGirl from Coushatta......I am in Baton Rouge and new to Camellias. I have about 6 ShiShis my son brought to be after being ravaged by the deer at his property in the Felicianas. Since they were all not much more than sticks with a few leaves, I put them all in one large planter box to try to nurse them back to healthy plants. I have to say they are looking full and green and I would like to divide them into an additional planter so they will have enough room. Is this the time to move and rearrange them? I know they should not be pruned after July because that is when the buds set for winter blooms and they actually had a few beautiful blooms in December 2008. Any advice for me? THX for any advice and enjoy those beauties you have!

Coushatta, LA

Hello Red_Stick,yes now is a good time to do it,because time is running out to plant them for the year.I have two myself i need to get in the ground.So yes go ahead and do it so they can get settled to where you are going to put them.Don't forget to share your pictures when they bloom.
You are very welcome,Cody

Baton Rouge, LA

THX for the prompt reply Cody. Looks like you are also a "midnight oil burner" as I tend to be myself in busy gardening times. Be sure to heed your own advice...moving time is now.

Coushatta, LA

Red_Stick,you are very welcome.Have a bless night.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.