horse advice please

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I think I may have the wrong horse for me. I could really use some advice.

She is a 22-year-old Foxtrotter/Quarter horse. I've had her since August. She lives on my property. I bought her from a friend for $500 tack included. Friend said she is a sweet horse, willing horse, nice horse, easy horse.

I find her to be standoffish, pain in the neck, grumpy, stubborn, doesn't like me. She tolerates being handled, lets me get on, but gets very grouchy when I want to make decisions about where to go - head goes down, stomps feet, spins in circles. She can't jump so I think she can't buck, but I think she'd like to.

I'm no expert rider, but I rode at riding stables all through high school and then again in my late 20s, so I'm not in danger of falling off of her.

Last week, neighbor brought his horse over to live with her, that's going fine. But yesterday, I decided to ride her and she had total hysterics when I took her away from new pasture mate. I rode her anyway, for maybe 40 minutes, and the whole time she was neighing and snorting and stomping and trying to run back to the barn.

I'm not enjoying this. I expected horse ownership to be hard physical labor, I'm fine with that. What I didn't expect was this much struggle. I'm thinking maybe this is just not the right horse for me? I wanted to enjoy this and I'm NOT. I'm really seriously thinking of not keeping this horse.

Help please?

This thread has 57 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!