Ice storm..part 2

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We came from here.. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946772/

This is the second thread in the saga of the ice storm that devastated the mid-South states. KY, TN, AR, MO, IL and IN were the worst hit, but many others were affected as well.

On a good note..our business got power about 30 minutes ago!!! The trucks were unfamiliar to me, so they were from another area. Bless those guys who are away from home and getting us back up and running!!!

This message was edited Feb 6, 2009 4:58 PM

Thumbnail by melody
Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

That was the best part, unfamiliar trucks....never saw yellow ones before, and the NG going door to door. Gave us a good feeling.

My poor holly tree that the birds planted a few years ago....

Thumbnail by Sharran

Mel, thanks for starting a new thread. That photo is just so eerie. It looks like something from a sci-fi movie. So glad you got power to the shop.

Well, that was a rotten picture, here's maybe a better one. It is all nice and straight now, looking very happy, if a little leafless in spots.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Yah, Rah! The shop has electricity. As the Seven Dwarfs would sing, "Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's Back to Work We Go!"

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

So glad things are gradually getting back to normal. Sorry about all your beautiful trees, everyone. Hopefully, they'll come back. Still praying for all of you!

Love,

Bonnie

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am glad to hear that there is progress in Western Ky. I think other than the tree totaling DMIL's car, I only lost the top of a magnolia. Don't know what to do with it, and on that note, I have decided that I will leave it as it is, and maybe it will grow from there.

Yeah, Sharon, good to see you posting,as well as Lisa. Tough pioneer women resurrected!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Great news! So glad things are looking up for everyone who has had such a bad time of it.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Is it going to be warmer there today? It is going to be in the high 40 today I believe here.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We'll be in the 50's and 60's for the next week...some days may hit 70. Lots of clean up going on, and at least the people still without power aren't in below freezing temps.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I can relate to the trucks from elsewhere. In Jan. 05 we had our bad ice storm and the guys who finished getting power on were from St. Joseph, Michigan. We were off power for 68 hours.....yes you tend to count the days and hours!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Warmer still today so I hope others with so much ice are warming up more also. I have said it before but I will say it again I HATE COLD.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

AMEN to that makshi!!!!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Our kids finally go back to school tomorrow. It has been 2 weeks since they've been.

Page, ND

We had a terrible ice storm/flood in 97. I remember the power poles snapping in half. No power for 4 days. I was REALLY pregnant at the time. I remember going outside and how scary it was and how LOUD it was! All the cracking of the trees. It was deafening! We are bracing for an ice storm starting at midnight through tomorrow night followed by a snow storm.

The pictures made me sad. I just remember how awful it was to lose so much, so many trees, its just sad. Hope everyone is ok.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

We are back to normal, and with the nice warmer weather today, DH walked to the back of our 30 acres, which is mostly woods, and he came back almost in tears. Saying that he has never seen such devastation. It will take weeks of work with a chain saw to clear what one night of ice brought down. I know that he will find folks who will be able to use the wood, and he will offer it for free, keeping some for ourselves. This storm taught us many things, and I hope we don't ever have to use those things we learned.

I've been MIA for the past few days and am glad to see that things are beginning to get back to some kind of normal for y'all. Each of you have continued to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Aw, (((Bonnie & DH))) Sorry to hear about the tree damage in the woods. It's odd how an ice storm can go from being so beautiful in the first few hours, to downright frightening with the cracking/falling limbs and treacherous roads, to devastation when all of the damage is found after the melt. I'm sure the cut wood will be a blessing to those who recieve it, though.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Ice storm forecast for Eastern North Dakota today. Haven't heard anything yet.
Boy, bad weather seems to be catching!
Bernie

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

Glad to hear that the cleanup is progressing.

Bonnie, I am so sorry about your trees! You and your DH are in my thoughts and prayers, as you clean up. How kind of you both to offer the wood to those who need it. I hope you never have to use those lessons either.

Prayers going out to the folks in North Dakota!

Love to all,

Another Bonnie

Strangest weather I have ever known. We are in the upper 60's now with sunshine, and have been throughout the weekend.

Bonnie, here's an idea.....I have been looking at these lincoln logs all over my yard, and finally decided I would use the long straight "logs" from the maples to outline more flower beds, and the long skinny branches for teepee trellises for clematis or whatever climber I have. Maybe a strong one for the rose climbers. I don't have a fireplace, so the true logs will go to whomever needs them. Believe me, our community won't be without firewood for a long time to come.

I did have an insurance adjustor out yesterday, and NO ROOF DAMAGE. I danced around after he left......because he handed me a nice tidy little sum for all my refrigerated and frozen food loss and for the cleanup to my driveway...as well as for the one loosened shingle on my roof. I had used what I could from the freezer, but some things were lost...maybe because I couldn't cook fast enough, and maybe because it was about 3 days before I came out of my stupor and started cooking on top of the stove.

Bernie....I sure hope you all don't have to go through this, too. I am so ready for spring.

I hope I don't forget the lessons I learned from all of this trauma.

And thanks, "another Bonnie".....you have very effective prayers.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

All we had today was rain. Farther north they had icey roads & sidewalks, but that was it.

You must have a god insurance company.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's some images without the ice.

I'm sure this is what everyone is seeing in the region now.

Here is the new neighbor's house.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Across the street at the school.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The contents of fridges and freezers are covered. I've been paid in the past for power outage losses.

Here's my back yard...the one that led off this thread. The apple trees didn't fare too badly, the maples behind them not so good.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

My neighbor across the street. He even got some lift equipment to get him up to where the broken stuff was...he also set the field on fire and had to have our poor little fire truck come out and put it out.

Poor fire guys have been running up and down the road all weekend. We're not supposed to burn because of the winds, but some people just can't listen. They had 3 calls on sat, 2 on Sun and I heard them 2 times today...(they're volunteers)

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

This was my neighbor about a mile down the road...I posted his ice covered trees earlier as well.

Thumbnail by melody
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

And to show that things are looking up...I found this today as well!

Thumbnail by melody
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

At least at this time of the year, the trees will soon leaf out & hopefully make things look better.
At least the ice storm didn't smash houses like a tornado or hurricane does.

Thanks for the pictures, Melody.
Bernie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Lots of trees on houses and through roofs. My sis's neighbor has a oak tree through their picture window. I saw a mobile home that looked chopped in half because of the tree that split it down the center.

Insurance adjusters are busy little bees at the moment.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Makes you feel hopeful when you see the daffys popping through the ground.

So glad your weather is behaving, and you're getting things cleaned up.

Shar, yea on the good roof report and the $$.

To everyone else, you're all still in my thoughts and prayers.
~Susan

Massive winds today, roughly 60 mph...not fun. Our power was out again for over 4 hours. I am so glad I got more candles.

And the broken limbs that were still hanging from the trees came thundering down. Good grief!!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Our power has been coming and going all night and day. Right now it is on.

What a mess.

(still no cable or land line phone)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

This is the first time online since i posted our damage here in Johnson co. AR on the other thread.
Got a little worried last night when we had high winds and a thunderstorm go thru. I still have broken limbs hanging over my house. The Arkansas Valley Electric CO, is going to come and cut the limbs down for me as soon as they can. They're still working on getting power on. It will take someone in one of those buckets to reach the limbs as they are so high.
FEMA came by and would'nt help me as they were afraid i'd sue them if a limb fell on the house while they were working on it. I could'nt change their minds. My opinion of FEMA dropped some more. If God keeps hanging on to those limbs till my electric co gets here, i won't have any house damage.
It is so nice to have electricity. Can you all imagine the miracle of walking into a room clicking a switch and immediately have light.LOL
I guess i'm having a sort of
post stress syndrom. Everytime i hear of something good happening i start crying for happy. dumbest thing i ever heard of.
Thanks for the prayers. They were appreciated and needed.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We are in for some really bad weather in the next few hours. High winds, tornados and severe thunder storms.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Caj not more bad weather. Keep safe and warm. We are having heavy rain which where we live isn't good either. I don't live in the house that flooded about every year any more that God.

I see there are several having bad weather. Wish you all well. Please take care to be somewhere safe.

It seems like all I can do is just post and pray ...
Hugs&blessings to everyone in harm's way ... ~Susan

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Happy Birthday, Melody.
Have A Great Day!
Bernie

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I second that. Don't work too hard today. Make it a very special day and rest a bit for a change. LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.