Survey: How far would you drive

North Augusta, ON

to find hard to find and unusual tropical plants? I'm trying to persuade the Government to finance my Small Business venture...I need some market research. I can't be the only one willing to drive great distances to find something cool, can I?

I need all the responses I can get to make it valid.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

As far as my mouse will take me. Make sure you get a website!

North Augusta, ON

LOL Victor!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay, in terms of marketing research, this is clearly the population you want to target - but Victor is correct. I am not driving anywhere - I am shopping online. And, since most DG members are reasonably adept at using a computer, I suspect many would also prefer to shop on-line.

North Augusta, ON

urghh...that I do not want to hear, considering I can only ship plants for maybe 4 months. I was hoping to get folks to come to me to buy for the other 8.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I'll drive up to two hours, but it would have to be a place with a large selection of plants. If it is just one specimen plant that I want, I'd shop with my mouse also.

Check the RULE OF THUMB - I believe it is 45 minutes one way for something special other then family. When Bill Wha was talking about the Shirazz JM (sp) last year and it gave the nuseries that had it. I drove 40 minutes just to see it, more than once. It was not there the 1st time or ever last year, but I was determined to drive 3 times to see it - even though I did not have the money to buy it. BUT - If it was there, noone would of known if I came home with it or not. Not even me as there is when the credit card could of possibly popped out.

Know your area and target those customers.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I say tops 2 hours.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

North Augusta appears to be a place a lot of people pass by to get to somewhere else. I would make a pitch based on that.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Does flying to Europe count?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jen you went further than that for the RU

That was a special day.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well she didn't say how far I would drive to get free plants.

North Augusta, ON

So, basically, offer a free plant with every purchase, eh?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

There ya go!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

If you plant them, they will come. 4 hours for me for specialty items that aren't readily available locally and I can't get them on line. I would only be shopping April through August though.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i would go an hour tops - maybe further although i would call ahead and make sure it was there.

so sherri if your willing to drive 40 minutes to see a shirazz and your not going to buy it - you can come here to look at it.

If I get the DT's bad enough I might take you up on that :-) Probably being in MA I would have to take DH. Hes is the driver and I am the navigator.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I would probably drive about 2-4 hours, depending.

There is a really awesome nursery in Harrisburg, Pa, which is about a 2 hour (give or take) drive for us, I will be heading there this summer sometime. That's where I purchased my Oxydendrum last year. They have really great stuff, that aren't little whips stuck in a gallon pot, and their tropical/indoor plant display is crazy insane. Just about every banana plant I've ever lusted after they had, except for the Ae Ae Banana, and they had almost all of the new EE's, and some of the newer Cannas. On top of rows of really interesting tropicals from all over the place....phew...

So, with that being said, if I know a place is going to be awesome, I will drive there! even if it just means window shopping!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Sherri - my wife is not into gardening so bringing your husband would be a requirement - either that or i'd have alot of explaining to do! Not sure if "she just wanted to the shirazz" would fly. LOL

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I have no trouble driving 4 hours in any direction to go on nursery crawls. But I doubt that I can haul plants across the border these days. Though I have driven from Southern Vt to Montreal to get some special cheese that was totally illegal to take across the border. I didn't get caught! Patti

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I'd drive about an hour to visit a special nursery, but only if I knew it would have things I can't find around here. But I'm far more likely to shop online!

North Augusta, ON

Great feedback, thanks!

Next question. Which would you be more apt to buy, a hanging plant in a 4 inch pot priced lower, or a slightly higher priced hanging plant already in a hanging basket?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Definitely pots for me because I fill the same hanging baskets every year so I'm looking for reasonably priced stuffers.

North Augusta, ON

oh, I should mention these are house plants.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O then the container/basket would be important to me and I would pay more for a nice one.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'd pay more for one already in a basket.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I tend to not buy hanging baskets as I find things that hang usually require a lot more attention. Those I have purchased are not hung, but sit on table or floor (hanger removed).

In today's economy, I am much more likely to buy the cheaper one, unless it is something short-lived, and is too late in the season to mature timely.

If I were given a choice of a larger hanging or a 4" growers pot, I would most likely take the 4" growers pot.

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

I live in CT and occasionally drive to Waterford Gardens in NJ for water plants--around 1 1/4 hour drive. I certainly don't keep them in business, though. Two thoughts: My trips coincide with warm weather--so my purchase doesn't supplement their off-season. Since tropical plants are often indoor plants it might be different, but will folks be inclined to travel in the non-shipping months?
The other thought is that Waterford is a destination for me (I'd rather visit than mail order) because they have inspiring display ponds, a beautiful river you can picnic beside, and of course great plants and fish. It's great to visit steamy greenhouses with tropical plants in the cold months--is there a way to build on that to be even more of a destination?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.