Washed potting soil

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Funny story here. Well first, my washing machine hose empties into my stationary tub. I put a BIG bowl of MG potting soil in the tub and added water. I just wanted to make sure the soil was evenly moist. Well my son did a load of clothes. BIG mess!!! My question is, can I use any of the salvaged soil? Or, should I just pitch it outside?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

That is funny! But I don't know the answer. Maybe if you run the rinse cycle again? My guess would be that it won't hurt.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Is it all soapy?

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Doesn't seem to be soapy. But it took my DH about an hour to clear out the drain! LOL! Actually, after I scraped it out of the sink, there really isn't that much to worry about. The good news is that my son is doing his own laundry! LOL!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yippee on that! I would mix what you have with some fresh and try to use it on stuff that would be hardier as opposed to seedlings

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, will try that.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

If it is a detergent base soap the chemicals in it are less than desirable for garden use. If it is a non-detergent biodegradable it would be OK as grey water but I would still use it gingerly so as not to overload one given spot in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.