Broken stem on baby plant question

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I ordered a will goodwin from parkseed last summer and got the plant fine.
Really small, but fine.
I planted it and the main stem broke.

Is it going to be ok in the spring?

Delaware, OH

you are lucky the plant stem broke. it needed a pruning when you planted it for best root development. if it broke about 2/3 of the way down vs at the ground even better.
you should have multiple stems from the ground this spring and good growth from the plant. good luck!

West Warren, MA

AAARRRGGHHHHH! I always end up breaking stems when I do spring cleaning of the garden, and they do send up more shoots...but I feel real bad when I do break them, they break so easy!!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Hopefully you can make this out...
The taller stem is the one that broke. I'd say about half way. This stem was about a foot tall and is now maybe 6 inches.
There are about 6 short ones that parkseed pruned before it was sent to me. Am I still good?

I just noticed....is that a snail on the left hiding? lol

This message was edited Feb 6, 2009 8:03 AM

Thumbnail by 2racingboys
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The plant really and truly will send up new shoots! Go check and eliminate that snail! Check for snail family members and spread some Sluggo!

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

dang, he's gone! Going to the garage to get my weapons! lol

Aha! Time to play detective.

Thumbnail by pirl
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

lol! too cute!

Delaware, OH

snails and slugs love clems, and damage the canes by striping the outside layer off.
you can use crushed oyster shell as a mulch, or other rough gravel 9 not pea gravel) in areas near the clems to control weeks, hold in moisture and discourage snails and the rough surface cut their bodies. the oyster shell is cheap, pretty availabel. it is also sold as "poultry grit" .

Thanks for that post. Last year we looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Finally found it on Cape Cod and didn't have any way to get it home since it was sold wholesale and I couldn't consider filling the trunk with it! (Well, I could but he couldn't!)

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

wonder if egg shells would work too??

They would. Ask at your local busy diner and they "might" save you a day of egg shells.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Maybe I'll just cook a big b'fast in the morning! My oldest son eats 4 or 5 eggs by himself. Pig. lol

I have a clematis planted that did not show a sign of growth one year (not so much as a green stem). I never got around to replacing it that year, the next year I noticed it was growing. I was very surprised to say the least it has grown every year since they must be tougher than I thought.

Delaware, OH

eggs shells attract ants, and racoons. not so good. chipmunks etc have been known to eat clem roots, so i would stay away from anything that might smell like food to a hungry animal. oyster shell and sharp gravel or sand improves the soil long term and woul dbe longer lasting than egg shells.

(Zone 4a)

Maybe just try some slug killer or repellent.....I am not even sure myself...

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I used some slug bait this afternoon.
Thanks everyone for your help with the hideout hog.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.