Gardening: Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #28

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Thank you for helping me keep my willpower for the time being. lol I now will be able to put off ordering them at least another few days ; )
I tend to prefer the plants that get Huge. : ) I think it is because their ability to grow in such a short time impresses me so much.
Speaking of Huge, does any one have any recommendations on how many weeks to start Annual Lion's ears? I've never grown them before so I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to start them this early. I read they can get up to 8' in a growing season so I'm thinking that it may be too early..

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Meredith (and all of you who got echie seeds from me) I will be really curious to see what colors emerge from the hybrids. They won't bloom this year - or at least the ones I started from seed last summer didn't - so I hope you will stay with us and let me know how they turn out. There could really be some interesting colors there and as long as they aren't all purple I'll be excited about them. I was unable to resist the 2 echie co-ops that we had here on DG, so between all the new hybrids and all the 'fake' hybrids I am planning a echie bed that will extend the entire length of my back lot. In fact that's the spot I was asking earlier about the lasagna bed. (Thanks Robin, and all of you who gave me some guidance in that area.) I sure hope they aren't as fragile here as I saw some of you reporting in your own areas.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Lala - I don't think I got any of your seeds, so please don't be mad when I don't tell you how they did. ; )
I did get a pack of echies from the swap but they said purple coneflower so I don't think they were from you. Could I be wrong? Did you just label them as Purple?
I kinda started a lasagna bed last year. I can't offer you any help because I have no idea what I am doing, but I get the basics of it. I don't know if it will end up being a lasagna bed after all. I put a bunch of cardboard down and it did keep the weeds from growing - which was the most important thing to me. I may just bring in some good garden soil and be done with it. I will have sooo many seedlings to plant that I know I won't have the patience to wait! : )

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ladies & Gents.... we've been a bit chatty and since about the 200 mark on replies - things start to slow down for some folks... I"ll start a new thread... Gimme a sec to post the link.

Come on over === > http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/951685/

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 12:46 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.