Planting a tree in the same hole left by a dead tree?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I hope that got someone's attention. *S*
I have a question about planting a new tree in the same hole a dead (or near dead) tree was just removed from.
The dead/dying trees are some-kina-oak, I don't know what's wrong with them but they are dying and we need to replace them.
Is there a problem planting a new tree in the same spot? Do I need to change the dirt... treat the hole with something?

Thanks for any help you can offer
Dove

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It would help to find out what was wrong with the trees that are dying--there are a number of soil-borne diseases which will stick around and can infect the next thing you put there. The good news is often those diseases are specific to certain types of plants, so if you plant a different type there then you can avoid problems. But in order to know what's susceptible or not you need to know what the problem was (definitely wouldn't plant another oak though)

Danville, IN

If it is a different species of tree going in, you're probably OK. If the tree roots /stump were ground out, you'll need to remove most of the punky wood fiber that is now mixed in with some soil and replace it with new soil. Alternatively, you can wait a year or two to let it decay first.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That's good advice to let the wood chips rot before replanting. Oaks in Dovey's zone are susceptible to Oak Wilt and some other notable diseases. I certainly wouldn't replant anything in the genus Quercus, unless the fungus was absolutely ruled out.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_oakwilt/toc.htm

If this wasn't a disease process, then whatever cultural issues are present, such as altered drainage etc might have an effect on a replacement. I'd like to know more. Was there paving added over the root zone in the last 5 years or so? Was the grade level changed? Were the roots cut for a sidewalk or a driveway? When was the deline first noticed? Has there been a recent gypsy moth infestation?

There's a risk to replanting if first you don't understand the cause for the decline.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If it's a soilborne disease, you're definitely not safe just by planting another species there, even another genus isn't always enough. I lost a Heteromeles arbutifolia to some sort of oak fungus (don't remember exactly which one) and they're not even in the same family--some of these types of diseases have a couple different plant families that they can infect. That's why if there is a chance that it's a disease like this, it's helpful to figure out exactly what it was so that you can find out what types of plants aren't susceptible.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I will not plant another oak... and I think I'll get the soil tested, see if they can find any reason why I shouldn't plant another tree right away.
Thanks for all the advice.

Dove

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

dovey, Here's your link to soil testing and a source of information about home landscaping and gardening. The advice is free. So is testing your oaks for diseases if a disease such as oak wilt is suspected. There is a small cost for soil testing, as it's done by another lab, but Ohio Extension wil provide you with the directions ( pamphlet) for the proper way to collect soil and send it. You Franklin County Extension maintains an office year around to provide information to residents about gardening, home landscaping, pest problems and a wide range of other assistance. Extension information is free and it is based on University research ( OSU usually). You can get no better source of information for your particular concerns than your local Extension Office. Please give them a call.

http://franklin.osu.edu/horticulture

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Snapple,
The only problem is the property and trees are in Texas :-)

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh for heavens sake! Ya coulda mentioned that. However, the same advice applies. First identify the cause for the demise of the oaks.

Here's the link for Texas Oak Wilt and here's the link for the State of Texas Extension - Cooperative Extension is in all 50 states and provides the samer services.

http://www.texasoakwilt.org/
http://texasextension.tamu.edu/topics/lawngarden.php

Find your local county office and get in touch with these people.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I know... I'm sorry Snapple. Although I did enjoy the OSU site you posted... even tried to sign up for the 2009 Master Gardeners course (already filled up)
I'll look for something local (at least local to the property) in Corpus Christi
Thank you for your help

Dove

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh don't apologise! By all means, get in the Master Gardener program wherever you reside and can attend classes. The Master Gardener Program, available in all fifty states, is incredible. You learn a ton, then you use your new found knowledge as a volunteer to assist others. I was certified in the 2008 class. Best gardening thing I ever did and the volunteer part is so rewarding it isn't work at all.

The county where I attended classes is always full and has a waiting list. If you decide to do this I would suggest you contact your local Extension this year for classes the next year. Good Luck!

Hawthorne, FL(Zone 8b)

It does depend what killed the tree. For instance, here on my land, "soggy feet" (high water tables and clay soil) make good drainage problematic. Some trees don't mind the wet, such as my treasured baldcypress (native here anyway, though none seem to be left on my 36 acres that I didn't plant myself). I wouldn't hesitate to put a baldcypress where something else died of poor drainage.

That said, there are soil-borne diseases. There are root rots that some species swiftly succumb to -- and very different species also will -- and others shrug off.

It all depends. How's that for a useless answer?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Wonderful
and it's greatly appreciated too *S*

Dove

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.