Echos of Summer

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I've been going through my files organizing my garden pics. Thought I'd send some hydrangeas to warm up this horrible winter day. Its so cold out my poor dogs run out to pee and without squating are turning around in mid-stream and heading back in the house before I can close the door. Even my corgi who loves the cold is streaking back in. Please let spring come soon!

Thumbnail by yehudith

another of the same plant

Thumbnail by yehudith

Lady in Red

Thumbnail by yehudith

Lady in Red (front) Endless Summer (back). Slightly wilted from the early afternoon sun.

Thumbnail by yehudith
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Okay - what is the first one, yehudith. Snowflake? I told myself no more hydrangeas, but I think I NEEEED just that one . . .

Kannapolis, NC

Yehudith: Is that Shooting Stars in the first two photos? I have that one, but it hasn't bloomed for me yet. Yours is gorgeous, whatever it is.

I think that's what it was called "Shooting Stars". I bought it several years ago at Whole Foods and thought I'd give it a try in the garden rather than pitch it. I didn't think it would survive but you know how it is. This is the first year its bloomed. Actually the first year I'd gotten enough growth for it to bloom. Right now its buried in about 5 bushels of oak leaves and I won't take them off until very well into April. That seemed to do the trick last year. Once its in full bloom it is gorgeous.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Yehudith

Here it is online:

http://www.weekendgardener.net/landscape-plants/hydrangea-macrophylla-shootingstar.htm

And from Plant Files:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107623/

Kannapolis, NC

Thank you, Yehudith and Katie. I have a `Shooting Star' that a friend gave me and I haven't seen it bloom yet, so now I'm really excited about its first blooms!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

And I'm looking around trying to find one. Thank you, Yehudith!!

Yeah that's it. The original tag said "fire works" and underneath it said shooting stars. The sterile flowers stand out on stalks a good 3-4 inches and are very mobile so they move independently wpihen the wind blows. It almost looks like its sparkling. I have another one that looks alot like it, but its in pink and rose. I went through my pics but couldn't find one. It bloomed really late in the year and took me by surprise.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Around here at least they seem to be more common in the floral sections of various types of stores than they are in the outdoor sections of nurseries with the other hydrangeas. I'm not sure why that is since they do just fine in the ground (assuming you've got a climate/location that's suitable for hydrangeas of course!)

Do you remember the name of the pink one? I have the white but would definitely love to find a pink one too!

Raleigh, NC

Glad to see your Shooting Star pics. I, too, have one from Whole Foods. There was a thread a year or two ago regarding the "true" name--as I recall, its either Hanabi or Hayes Starburst. Have to search for the thread and post it. Hang on....

Found it! Here it is http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/918135/

Glad to see how well your's did, as mine just completed its first season outdoors (I kept it inside the first winter), so I'm hoping, finally, for blooms

This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 12:49 PM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Okay. Now I'm obsessing about this hydrangea. Hydrangea macrophylla 'Hanabi' aka Shooting Star. I'm going to check out the Whole Foods this weekend just on the off chance . . .

Check out this picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kluster.mac.com/AjisaiWaMuzukashi#5210938589161566658

Kannapolis, NC

Whole Foods in Winston-Salem is where my friend bought the one she gave me.

Angie

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Now I have to have one of these also, if anyone knows where to buy one please let me know, thanks.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I checked the florist/garden shop today to see whether they had any. Didn't see one. :-( Keeping my eyes open.

Kannapolis, NC

If you have a Whole Foods or Earth Fare nearby, I would suggest you start there.

I take it these are grocery stores, the only ones we have around here are Walmart, Winn Dixie and suchlike.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd check those stores too--I can't remember what time of year I tend to see them the most, but it's worth checking any stores like that in your area that have a floral/houseplant section.

Kannapolis, NC

Stetch: They are natural food stores, big ones, so your grocery store may carry them. Won't hurt to check.

I will, thanks

Kannapolis, NC

Katie: That looks like the one! Thanks for your efforts and result.

Thanks for finding this Katie,

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, I have to confess that I didn't find it myself, though I tried. I posted a picture on the Pacific Northwest Forum and Pixydish, who has an amazing collection of hydrangeas pointed me here. She has this guy and is waiting to see how he did this winter. We had record-breaking snow and then a month of big temperature swings after the snow had melted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.