Woodland iris garden, who wants in?

Santa Ynez, CA

I still am going to call, but as I have said I want to wait a little and see how they feel, anyone that wants to possibly send iris to them can watch this thread and sign up to send......

Thumbnail by makj
Weston, WV(Zone 6b)

Count me in this spring time. I need to dig all mine up and move my beds anyway..so my increase they can have!!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Count me in I will send them some of my introductions

Philadelphia, PA

I guess I better get in on this too

Santa Ynez, CA

I can't take credit for this idea, Mitt is the one who did:) I think it is wonderful that so many people want to help out
way to go everyone:)

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Hold on people there is new information

When big guys like this go out of business they usually contact the other growers in the area to see if they want their stock.

This may be a misunderstanding by us that with all the trouble the county caused that they just wanted out of the business.

I think we need some more information about this
Anita

Santa Ynez, CA

read the article again, I am just telling you what Lorraine had said, one of her comments was that they are older now and I don't think they have the energy to start anew, honestly I don't think this was a "way out", not the way she sounded on the phone, again we will see if they want any iris, it was a thought if some people don't want to be a part of this, then that is fine....

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

makj

JUst a thought. Just heard that they may be getting into evergreens and other tree crops but like I said I have yet to verify.
:)
Still keep me on the list till we learn
A

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Still keep me on the list until we find out too.

Santa Ynez, CA

thanks guys, she did mention pomagranit trees, I think they may choose something easier to manage, but well see....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

If I have anything to divide I'd be happy to send them. Even if they aren't growing for retail, they still might like a few for their personal garden use.

Santa Ynez, CA

that is true, I mean think of all the iris they had, and now a drop in the bucket, I know I would miss all those iris....

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I would be happy to buy a few and have the Irises sent to them directly :)

Santa Ynez, CA

that is really nice, I am going to give it a little more time and then contact Lorraine and see how they feel, they really have been through the ringer and need some down time....

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Can I get into this?????
I have 52 brand new irises that I have ordered, and planted in the ground now and coming up.

Santa Ynez, CA

any one who wants to help is welcome, I will post something when I talk to Lorraine thanks...

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I would be able to give some next season. I actually have quite a few I bought from the over the years, they may want to add back to their collection. I still cannot believe this happened to them, after 20 or more years, come on, the county needs to be ashamed of themselves, they should be the ones to replant them for the Nicolson's. We should sign a petition for the county to do this for all of the damage they did.

Santa Ynez, CA

I hear you, I think they are tired of being raked over the coals, I think they are doing something to make them pay, so to speak,but Lorraine really didn't want to get into the whole court battle thing, I guess we will see....

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

How can I help ?

Santa Ynez, CA

everyone keep a beady on this thread and I will update it as I get info, I plan to call Lorraine in the next couple of weeks and see how they are. I will ask at that time what they think of a giant iris package:) thanks

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Even if they want to take a breather from iris for this season I'd still be willing in the future should they decide they're interested. I understand that even if they love their iris this may just be a sore and painful topic for them.

Maybe just a nice round of support and encouragement cards would be a nice gesture in the meantime.

Santa Ynez, CA

I think you are right, that is a nice thought....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've noticed from other sites that a RAOK card shower never hurt anyone=)

Maybe start a new post requesting encouragement cards or just because cards from all the iris fanatics out there and a mailing address? Are they in the GW with a mailing address?
Most of us probably won't have any iris divisions until later this summer anyway so it give everyone more time to plan and them some breathing room:)

It's really nice to see people want to help:)

Santa Ynez, CA

that is a good idea, I will start a new post and suggest cards......I will put their address on there.....and as you say we wouldn't be sending anything until summer anyway....great idea......thanks...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Cool:) I'll pick up a card tomorrow at work:)

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I will make one. And where do I send it?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Address is:

Nicholson's
PO Box 578668
Modesto CA 95357

Lorraine and Gordon Nicholson

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Is there anything special to say in the card????

Santa Ynez, CA

I guess since no one really knows them, well I guess I shouldn't say that, but just thought sending a pick me up type hello, thinking about you.....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm going with a general thinking of you type of card--maybe mentioning that the DG iris people are thinking of them.

Santa Ynez, CA

I think that is nice, Lorraine did say she would miss the iris clients, I did agree that Iris people are some of the nicest people there are....

Raleigh, NC

is there more to this yet? makj? I just saw this

Santa Ynez, CA

not yet, but I think I am going to call Lorraine this coming week and see how they feel...I will update this when I do... thanks for asking.....

Santa Ynez, CA

well I think we can call it quits, I have gotten no response from Lorraine about the iris, I have emailed her new address she herself sent me and no reply. I want to thank everyone, I was touched at how many of you came together and wanted to help, truly amazing that people we come and help when needed, in this day and age it is nice to see that people will still reach out, again thank you and god bless......Marie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.