camellia question

Cordele, GA

I have a sasanqua( bought last spring) which I later found to be infested with white fly. I bought it while the weather was still cold and when it warmed up the critters hatched and bloomed like algae. I was not paying enough attention to my plants due to family health issues, and when I discovered the pest the foliage looked really bad. I have dealt with the white fly but the evergreen leaves don't look good.

Can camellias be defoliated like Japanese maples to force new, fresh, and insect scar free leaves? If not, how long will it take for the plant to renew the leaves naturally?

Thanks,

Beth

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Beth, I have not had that problem with my Camellias, but had a terrible time with my gardenias. I used a sprayer on my hose with soap (dishwashing soap) and water and washed them well, and got all of the black residue off along with the bugs. They came back fine without me taking all of the leaves off. I have also washed the Camellias well just to prevent disease on them. Also used messenger on them, and that really helped their foilage a lot! Sorry I can't be of more help.
Janet

Cordele, GA

Thanks, Janet.

I am pretty sure that the plant is going to be OK, however I was going to start pruning as a bonsai this year. I hoped that I could encourage it to replace some of the foliage that is still showing the fine, yellow pinprick spotting from the infestation.

How are you doing? I have not kept up with Dave's since things went to H___ in the proverbial hand basket in November of '07. I am a good bit closer to you now and would love to get by and see your garden this year.

Beth

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Really, Beth, where are you living now? I would love for you to come....it is really at it's bewst early Summer, Late Spring...dmail me.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

My camellia leaves always start looking a little ragged at a certain time of year. I just can't remember when that is. LOL> I think mid spring. Any ways I wouldn't worry about it, the damaged leaves will fall of soon enough. When the new leaves come out they seem to get rid of all the bad leaves.

Cordele, GA

Ah, good, that is what I needed to hear. The old leaves are shed in spring when the new growth comes on. So far this one isn't showing much bud swell, however 'Yuletide' already has lengthening buds. Perhaps 'Snow Showers' will be developing new growth soon.

I would like to get the first training cuts made as soon as the new growth hardens.

Beth

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Sorry but camellias for me are a plant and forget plant. They grow very well and no pests so i just don't worry about them. For me they are very hardy. I wouldn't prune a camellia much, they pretty much grow into a nice shape by themselves. I had one I pruned to try and make it dense but I'm not sure if I really did anything good to it. ???? Unless you're keeping it small I wouldn't be pruning it.

Just a thought.

Cordele, GA

Small is what I am after. I want to turn it into a bonsai. That is why the leaf quality is important. The leaves and blooms get more attention in a pot than they would on a larger shrub in a foundation planting.

I am currently in a rented house and don't plan to stay here more than a year, so nothing is going in the ground.

Beth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.