the boco bob experiment

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

today i started preparing for this experiment. here is a pictur of the two different kinds of lights i will be using in my mini greenhouse. the one on the left is a 23 inch "under the counter light" with one regular bulb. the one on the right is 24 inches and has one grow light bulb. both have very small wattage, about 24 watts max.

it should be boca bob

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 6:04 PM

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

on the top shelf i have two 24 inch grow lights on ech end and in the middle i have the 23 inch regular bulb.

the second shelf hasthe opposite. two 23 inch regular lights on each end and one 24 inch grow light in the middle.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thse next two pics show my old way of starting seeds. the first one shows two kinds of containers. the round ones ae 2 3/4 x 3 and the black ones are 3 x 2

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i will also start seeds in these 2 x 2 containers just for the heck of it. i will be using my regular store bought seed starting mix in each of the 3 different containers above.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

here is a picture of boco bob's black "buckets" they are 2 x 2. i will be filling him the coir that came with his kit.

i gave the bottom "watering tray" and the "dome" to sequee and i will start his in this little contraption i have used in the past.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

and finally, here are the whopper sponges i got from park seeds. they are 2 3/4 x 3 and as you can see they fit inside the whopper cell block.

bob as asked me to insert of a couple of his buckets inside the whopper block. i will try it although the bucket does not sit deep enough to benefit from bottom wattering so i will have to use other means to give it a drink.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i understand there are a few of us trying this experiment and it should be good fun no matter what happens. i know sequee is also involved in this. knowing her she probably has all the seeds planted. LOL

i put this on the vegetable garden forum because i will be starting tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers plus other vegetables.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Is Sequee using the net pots in the insert which sits in the tray? My system is designed to have the net pots sitting in the inserts keeping the sides and bottoms dark and protected so the roots stay nice and moist. I haven't tested the net pots open and exposed to light. We'll see what happens with your test Herbie. I also planted some tomato seeds in the net pots in the 18 cell Bio Dome. I'll keep you posted on those

BocaBob

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's what it looks like before the coconut coir is added. The net pots are too short in the Styrofoam to reach the reservoir when the seedlings are very small, so top watering will be necessary, but after some root growth (which will happen quickly), the roots will reach down to the reservoir and sop up the yummy water/nutrient mix. Pictures are forth coming.

BocaBob

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

I wouldn't think the net pots would be all that great in open air. I dunno? Just my thinking.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i see what you mean bob about having the pots exposed. i did give sequee the the whole system. i just took half the buckets to myself. i will figure out something to do with the pots. maybe i will place the buckets inside a 4 inch container to keep them enclosed a bit.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

The exposed net pots to light and air will be a whole new and different experiment, let's try everything.

BocaBob

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

whaqtever you say i just hope i can remember everything i am going to do. LOL

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

It's getting complicated, no not really

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.