Persian Shield seeds

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Does anyone have Persian Shield seeds for trade or postage? Or is this plant only propagated from cuttings?

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I think you have to start it from cuttings.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I have been wanting this one too so if you find a source let me know. I bought my last one at Lowes a few years back but havn't seen another one since. I have this one on my wants list so maybe I will get lucky one year and find more. I love the deep purple color it has.

I think Makshi is right I think cuttings will be the first we find. If I remember correctly I never saw flowers on mine and I sure wounld'nt know what to look for in seed. I only had one plant and it froze in the freek snow storm of Christmas eve in 2006..

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i have this but it will be spring before i could send,if you dont have it by then dmail me and we can work something out ok? thxs

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Mortez - Oh awesome! Thanks! I would definitely love to do a trade in the Spring with you for either seeds or a cutting or two!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

becky.. Somebody had seeds for sale. Can't remmebr who it was, not sure if saw em on summerhills site or parks or who or maybe T&M cuz i had debated who to get em from. wasn't listed as Prsioan Shield though they had another name. If I think of it will let ya know.

North Richland Hills, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like they're doing an Interest thread on a tropical co-op that could possibly include Persian Shield. They want us to vote on which varieties from the vendor that we like the best so they can limit the number of offerings. If you think you might be interested in getting it from the co-op, go vote for it.

Here's the link to the co-op interest thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948948/

To find it on the vendor's sight, click on the Miscellaneous tab at the top, then it's under Landscape/Herbaceous

Florence, AL

I've never seen a seed on my Persian shield, I just take cuttings. They root very fast in water or soil.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have a bunch of Persian Shield starting to flower, if someone will remind me in March I can check for seeds. I will take a photo of the flowers tomorrow.

Today in the garden I saw>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow,,,you've got more than me flowering at the moment...after our freezes...
I found an extra Mexican Sage...Lowes had one on their "rescue rack" as I call it...1/2 gallon pot for a $1.00.
Got in case my other one doesn't recover...........

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is the flower stalk for Persian Shield, less than spectacular isn't it?

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

The leaves are still pretty.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Dale.. That would be cool if ya can see if ya get seeds. The flower might not be much but a row of Cannas in the back and then the Persian Shield and then they put like marigolds or some thign low growign in front hae seen and it gorgeous. The purple of th eleave s just shimmers in the sun then.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This is the first year I have seen blooms on them and I am not sure it they will make seed. I haven't seen any insects visiting the flowers, but, I don't spend a lot of time around that bed, it's at the end of the driveway. I will keep an eye open, should be around March, maybe late in the month, if they are going to have any.

I love colorful foilage, easier than keeping up with flowers>

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh that's beautiful Dale. Scrumptious even. : )

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Dale that is beautiful.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This year I am going to take some cuttings from the Persian Shield and mix them with the Coleus I plant. A true purple color is not available in coleus and I am hoping red, gold/yellow with the purple will look good.

I don't have enough Persian Shield photos - I will have to add some to my photo albums, how about some Salvia instead?>

Bryan, TX

Your plants are amazing, thanks for sharing. I also love persian shield and will be looking for a cutting or plant.

(Marymac) Statesvi, NC(Zone 7a)

dale..

think you have a great idea ther...let us know results...I am also looking for persian shiel plant or cuttings

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

You know, I read somewhere that some Strobilanthes species are gregarious bloomers, like bamboo, which wait years to bloom, 3 -16 years, then colonies bloom all at once, set seed and die.

It will be interesting to see how your blooming plant behaves Dale. :)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

how did it go Dale... one I just bought is producing flowers

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Not one seed.

They root well as cuttings tho.

eye candy>

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks.. I have done cuttings before... just wondering how it turned out

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.