Poochella's Merry 09 Dahlia Contest (Champeens & Parades) #3

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Let the twirling and cheering continue ^_^ We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945285/

This message was edited Feb 1, 2009 5:49 PM

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm here, whats everyone doing??

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Seeding. Whatcha doin Tils?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Yahoooooooooo! New thread to party on. Dancing on the keyboard here! get down and boogey... : )

Is that waking of the Dahlias a like real tradition?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

♪♪ Baaaby I waaaaaaaas booorrrrrrrn to ruuuuuuun ♪♪ Sorry I was singing and twirling with Bruce. starlight "The Wakening of the Dahlias Festival" was a tradition I started for myself when it seemed I was all by my lonesome growing dahlias in Cowtown. It includes the 'Parade Around the Herb Garden', 'The Feast' and the 'Gifting of the Tubers' and of course potting up dahlias like a maniac. The gifting of the tubers and a workshop has resulted in many, many more here participating in the Festival. Well maybe not as exuberantly as me but they are growing them now^_^

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Well, when I get some to grow, will do a rela parade withya. : )

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

YAHOO!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Wat yu doing. Ha Ha

Me, Just got the new Truck (used) home, just bought it from Carla. And brought home 50 cinder blocks from work have 100 more to haul. It will be the base to expand my GH.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Whoah that's heavy labour Tils! Congrats on the new truck!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sorry about your dial up starlight. That's a real hindrance and I'm glad you asked and dahlianut delivered. Dnut, I was extraordinarily impressed with your baton/stake twirling in the parade video LOL. What a mess though, with my best laid plans came chaos in rolling out the 'second place' winners. Everybody but Maureen is second place, so if you gals want to line up and have a big catfight- go for it.

My hand is killing me, gotta ice and rest it for a few days. Has to be healthy by Mid March at the latest.

Yes Makshi, you get a box but not just ONE dahlia, that wouldn't be worth the cost of mailing. If I have them, all of you can choose up to 10. I'll give everyone an idea of what survived in a couple weeks- can't believe it's February already! I send priority mail, sometimes Flat Rate to save you money, sometimes that doesn't pay and regular Priority mail rates are a better value. I ordered a boatload from the Co-op too, many to share. Will have to see how those look.

Maureen to make bold, italic or underline leave out the spaces and type < b > what you say here < /b > for italics, sub an "i" for the b, for underline, sub a "u" for the b. That's all I know.

Thanks for appreciating my little mid-winter game. I'm glad it might have spurred some of you daylily nuts on to another round. I have to save my room for dahlias, so I'll lurk on that thread if it should come around. I want to be cheerleader!

So, all you 13 second placers, if you haven't already, start by Dmailing me your names, addresses and basic dahlia preferences and we'll take it from there as I unpack them.
I go forth with ice pack to wrist NOW. Too much typing last night and today.

Hy Lustre is another of my favorites for cutting: way cool orange with red backside petals and lots of them. It's tall 4.5-5'. I had 4-5 of those too and lots of tubers.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

And a tired pup, 50 bricks to load was more work than I thought. lol
Real happy having a truck, now I can get my own soil and not pay twice to have it delivered, and they are only 2 miles from the house. Makes me mad.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Geesch Pooch your hand is not healing up very quickly :( Get better little hand, you will be needed for dahlias soon.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Tils, forgot to comment on Carla. They must have found a buyer then? And you got a truck! Smooth work. I bet any dahlias in her ground are safe and sound, it wasn't that bad in December, I don't think. I do hope you can divide Pooh though. That is a cheerful, bright favorite. If not, so be it.

Am looking into a greenhouse set up this year too, as I've sworn to do for several years but haven't :) Don't work too hard!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

We over lap Annie.
I sent you mine.

Did you have Ex-Rays on that wrist>???? If not you better. There is no pain like a small fracture. Trust me I know. How long have you been icing it??? You only use ice in the frist 24 hours then you use both heat and ice, My DH is a Massage pract. ( no worry I get nothing) Sad but true.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I sent a Blast out, I hope I didn't forget to add your name, opps going back to check. If I did will send it to you

Lindenhurst, NY

oh gee, didn't know you guys were on here:-) Pooch, pls rest that wrist and get better. Don't know how much rest you can get if your a nurse....

that Hy Lustre is a beauty (tks for tips on doing this).

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm collecting addresses in Dmail. Thanks for all those sent so far. Tilly, I did get your blast mail about Carla, will try to catch her to say farewell. don't ruin your arms or back hauling those bricks/blocks. Xrays were negative, I'm sure this is a tendon problem- slow to heal.

Maureen, my nursing job is now 100% typing at a computer or mousing through medical records, all a strain on my hand. But doing direct patient care would be equally impossible, especially lifting. I did used to enjoy it though for many years. Today I did well resting the hand (except for a few tiny emails LOL) No fractures, I'm sure it's a tendon that got strained and then overworked. The hand will be fine by March- that's my goal.

All worn out from the contest. It is sooooooooooooo nice not to write down all those numbers. Yippee. I'll be watching for a daylily follow-up contest. Or iris?

Good job on learning the BOLD Maureen.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Popochella do you have one of them wrist bands to kinda help keep you wrist in one place and not so easily moved? I rememmber when had the one in my arm pulled. make ya want to abotu cry aches no matter which way ya move took about 6 months to heal.

Have ya tried alternating between heat and cold? Like somebody else surprised ya just using cold only.

maybe doc cna giv eya a shot of some sort that what is it hrdracortizone or something liek that.

Wow that one big bright orange ball. It hot. hot . hot. does the cha-cha. : )

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I've Got 72 new Irises I had ordered and planted this last fall not counting what I had. Maybe I'll come up with a game, but it may take a year or two.
Annie, get better soon. can't ruin something that already is, got to think before any lifting, use the right methods in lifting. been train on that so much at work. Whats funny I can help unload a truck, with no problems, but if I have to stand still a run a register I hurt so bad.
I'm a fiscal person got to move. Even at my age. LOL
still young at heart.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My namesake, the real PIRL was my neighbor, Pauline Isabelle Reid Loeffler, and she actively gardened until she was 85 and arthritis became a problem. Then she gardened and weeded from a standing position - she was one determined person! She only gave it up, against her will, at 95 and died at 102+. Keep on moving!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

You got that right, keep moving.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

and twirling ^_^

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

and dancing and prancing. LOL

Cool Pirl. I always wondered where ya got yoru name from. I knwo the first few times I saw way back I always got it wrong would think it was pril and though ya named yoru self after a bottle of yoru favorite pril shampoo. ( needs embarrassed smiley here : ) )

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

That's a great story Pirl.
Hope your feeling better Poochella

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

The real PIRL had her priorities straight. What a great story!

Twirling, dancing, prancing all in anticipation of Spring. It was 62º here yesterday. Balmy. Tilly, standing in one place would be really tough. Too bad you can't march, dance, and prance while at work. You could...... but they might look at you funny. Like The Dancing Traffic Cop back east!

Going to my trusted MD tomorrow. She knows she'll have to get my hand fixed up stat as I have her hooked on dahlias too LOL. Yes, Starlight, I wear my wrist immobilizer constantly which really helps. In between icings. Tried Icy Hot or similar product and it felt okay but really just need to rest my fingers to heal. The wrist radiates its own heat, so I don't want to add anything but 'cold' to the mix right now. It'll heal, just takes some time.

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

i got lost in the transplant......but am back now! ya gotta treat that wrist like it's insured by lloyds of London! us is depending on it! stay well, yah !

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

hahahahah. Ya you got that right jsx.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

The wrist is going to a hand surgeon for a look-see this afternoon. Even if I'm in a cast, I won't let you down jsx. You have to have dahlias, tall and beautiful, just like you! I'll pack boxes with my teeth if I have to. Mr. Poochella, picker of the contest number, is going to get a big lesson in dahlia sorting if I'm still gimpy in a month.

The good news is I did another spot check on tubers and those babies are holding strong. Only another 4-5 little rotters found. I used a lot of wood shavings this year and they apparently work well. Thanks to Daisyruffles for reinforcing that storage method.

Here's another one that reproduced well, can't remember if I posted it already or not.
Chimacum Cathleen-a waterlily in peachy pink blending to pale yellow that blooms in droves.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Do you have to have surgery on the wrist? I am sorry it has given you so much trouble.

I love the picture you last posted. It is really pretty.

Beautiful. It's my daughter's name but she's with a K.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Gosh Pooch that stinks, all for a sprained wrist WOW!! Hope it's OK...Love the Chimacum Cathleen so pretty!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I think I mistakenly labelled the photo "Kathleen" too Pirl as that is my sister's name. It's a lovely dahlia.

Thanks, Makshi. I will try to avoid surgery like salmonella or the plague. We'll see what they say or what further tests show. First things first.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Luvs. Be careful around those dogs of yours! Man's best friend can turn ugly in a split second LOL.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, Annie, I sure hope you get some answers about that wrist of yours. Would hate to see you have surgery too. Have them do a MRI then to get to the nitty gritty of what is happening then. I don't like x-rays. They don't show it all.

As for the wood shaving, that is great that they are working for you. I did have problems later in the season tho with the tubers drying out so maybe your garage is moist enough to keep them all hydrated. Did you put them in the plastic containers with tops on them to totally seal them up?

Lindenhurst, NY

Poochella -- sending good vibes for a speedy recovery of that wrist. Pls let us know how you make out at the hand surgeon.

glad to hear your dahlias are holding up well. I don't know if i should check the couple i saved - they were pretty shriveled when I packed them in vermiculite:-(
Next year i'll really be on top of saving them the proper way.

take care and hope your all good
M

Good luck with your wrist, Annie. Let us know what happens.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I hope its better soon Annie. Im doing some swaps and cant seem to keep up. I just wanted you all to know I am thinking of you.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well,nothing like suffering for two weeks. The hand doctor did find two fractures now showing in my wrist area and sprained tendons that will have to heal on their own for now. I have a fine new removable hard splint that really keeps my hand/arm much more comfy! Hurray. Now to have it healed up solidly for planting time is my goal. Packing boxes will be nothing!

I hope you're feeling better very soon. Glad you went to the doctor when you did and didn't let it go.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.