February Orchids in 2009

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Geeze, I love those slippers but can't get one to bloom for anything. I went back to review the Selby Garden pics and see I left out a Catt. Sorry, I didn't get the name.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Heart be still!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is Paph Red Icon ‘Pastel Pink' x Nikko Magic ‘Pink Lemonade’. It's one of the first orchids I ever bought (2007) and this is it's first time blooming. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it will completely open, but I sure love the colors.

Joanne

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am holding my breath to see if my very abused and neglected paph cocoa cherry x my valentine is going to continue to develop a flower. This poor plant was abandoned in the back floor of my greenhouse when I had the mistaken idea that the paphs might do well back there. I pulled this plant out last spring -- one of the few survivors -- and left it mostly unattended in a shady spot in my patio until cold weather threatened. It got some water when I was watering my plant propagation experiments in the same area. I thought at first the flower bud was a new leaf that was coming in browned out, but then I realized it was a flower, bud and it is thus far growing quickly!

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Ursula, wanted to share with you and all that Liese finally has opened and I'm very happy with the color/fragrance. The lip is a dark purple and the petals are a slightly light purple. Glad it is in that color range than more of a lavender. I received the Blc. Goldenzelle 'Lemon Chiffon' x Blc. George King 'Serendipity' yesterday and I don't think I've ever received a better, more healthy looking plant. Very pleased with it.
Take care, Lee

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Lee, all great news. Wish I could see them. Jar my memory, where did you buy the Lemon Chiffon from? Maybe we should take up a collection for a camera for you. :) I'm dying to see your plants.

Fred, what did you end up ordering from the Brazilians? I love that list. Oh just had an idea. You have mail.

I think I will go take a pic of La Vivace and have a series of how a Phrag opens. This one is mostly Phrag pearcei influenced.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I would like to know where it came from too.

Jeremy, wow, poor thing, and it has such a great sounding name. I hope you resecued it in time.
Was it from the motherload days? Have you ever seen it boom?

This message was edited Feb 7, 2009 8:52 AM

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Hey Boo, I got the Lemon Chiffon from Fantasy Orchids. Today, I found a pot hanger and have it hanging in the window of the segregation room. I'll keep it there for about a month or until I know it is ok to put it with the rest of the orchids.
The Liese Pigors has another cluster of buds that have popped from the sheath covering. A total of 3. Am so pleased with it, finally, that I'm about to do a happy dance even with this new knee!
Thanks for the offer of the 'collection'. I'd not have sense enough to use it should I have one, unless, as, I think you suggested, these devices should come with a teenager in the box. Lee

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lee, we are NEVER too old to learn? Sounds like you got some really good plants, I am happy for you. But yes, I would love to see your stuff too.
Nice bud Jeremy!! I would be happy too.

Lycaste brevispatha x mattogrossensis is flowering right now. ( matto or mato....?) I brought it downstairs, it is a small pot. This Orchid produces leaves during the Summer, drops them slowly during the Fall months into Winter and blooms on the bare p-bulbs.
From what I read, these are intolerant of old/bad potting mix, I potted it last Spring into CHC mix, it still looks good.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2009 8:56 AM

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and a single bloom -

Thumbnail by RUK
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Thanks Ursula. What I'd do is enlist the help of one of my nieces to help me. Lee

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's so beautiful, it doesn't look real, especially with the background color.

Hap

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Happy, the background is not real - I used a poster as a background. I am truly not fond of black backgrounds, I tried the black felt and I must be doing something wrong, the blooms always look washed out. Sometimes I do shoot a picture in the greenhouse against the blue sky and I like the effect. It is tough to do that, when you have miserable weather. I really prefer a light background or a "natural" one.
The plant truly does look like that. Here is another pic showing the whole basket -

Thumbnail by RUK
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Boy, oh, boy!!!

Great plant Ursula. I'm thinking of repotting my lycastes. What should I use?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is it deciduous? If yes, Ed Merkle's page has really good pointers/his methood here
http://www.merklesorchids.com/xt001/CulturePgs/calanthe.html
I only have a couple of those - which I pot into that special Orchid CHC mix from Kelley's Korner.
http://www.kkorchid.com/

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

GGlory - I don't recall if I've seen this Paph flower before. I once was getting blooms from the lady slippers about every January, but then I decided to "improve their conditions" by moving them to the greenhouse, which turned out to be a big mistake. I was very interested in the previous discussion here about the negative effects that can come from dividing orchids. I tried dividing my paphiopedilum lady slippers and that seemed to kill them, especially when combined with the poor growing conditions in the back of the greenhouse floor. I had about 10 nice lady slipper orchids at one time, but am now down to two that are really healthy (about three struggling to make it). I think they all must have been part of the Lowe's cull pack deals because I don't recall ever buying any lady slippers.

The cultivar mix for 'cocoa cherry' x 'my valentine' is not in the Plant Files, but I found a photo at this webpage (scroll down about 3 pages in the document) http://scworchidsociety.org/Documents/October%202008%20newsletter.pdf It has a green and cream-white variegated flower.

Jeremy

Congrats, Jeremy. I think you should now feel free of guilt!
Ursula, all of my lycastes, calanthes, and my catasetum have some leaves. I can't tell which they are.
Here is La Vivace opening more.

Thumbnail by boojum
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

You know, my mistake. I posted the Calanthe page, not Lycaste. Grrr! I was looking at the same time at conditions for a Calanthe Rozel, which I picked up at the Deep Cut Orchid Show. Sorry, stepped out for a minute there.....
Anyway, my deciduous Lycaste are potted into Kelley's Korner mix.

edited to add the AOS culture sheet for Lycaste
http://www.sdorchids.com/www/aos_lycaste.htm

This message was edited Feb 7, 2009 4:29 PM

I think I will use my new monterey bark and rocks, with sponge rok and charcoal. But not till spring.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

If anybody would like to order anything from the plant list, give me an email and I'll let you know how you can do that.
fred

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

What a nice thing to do, Fred! :-)

In the meanwhile - blooming right now is my little Aerangis luteo - alba var. rhodosticta. I got it many years ago from Hoosier Orchids and sadly it had started to decline a bit. So last year I planted it into Epiweb and it seems to like it and put out better growth.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

a look at the plant, so you can also see the Epiweb basket.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

and a flower close up -

Thumbnail by RUK
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Beautiful as always, Ursula.

That epibasket. It looks like a filter for a furnace/AC. It that about right?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Now it's all out and purdy.

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Another.

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love the bright yellow and contrasting lip. Nice plant!

It not only looks like filter material, it actually might be. The filters are a bit thinner. I got mine from First Rays
http://firstrays.com/epiweb.htm
it is recycled plastic Soda bottles!!

I find Cattleyas and their alliance love the material and many of my smaller Orchids which are intolerant of waterlogged bark. I moved my Aerangis citrata plants to Epiweb, one mounted and one in a small pot with Epiweb chunks, I finally kept them alive this time ( after killing a couple....) and both are in spike. The mounted one is doing better than the potted one.
I tried Oncidiums in this medium, in my hands it is not a good choice, I would not move them into it.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2009 10:28 AM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Ursula. They sure aren't shy about charging for the stuff!

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Does anybody have any Phrags here? At yesterday's orchid class I found out they love standing in water and should NEVER dry out. I saw some beautiful plants and yet have never run into them anywhere else. Or at least I never recognized a phrag "if" I saw it.

I'm going to get me a couple just to be able to freely water all the time without worry about drowning. :-)

Here's is this morning's orchid view in my sunroom. It comes with an aroma. Lots of stuff in bud too.

Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

a little closer on the Lctna. Renata 'S & W'

Thumbnail by fredrump
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Beautiful, Fred.

Maybe you should try the Orchid form.....ROTFLMBO..

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

and the Dendrobium Red Emperor 'Prince'

Thumbnail by fredrump
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Do you need sunglasses for that one?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

OMG...so many great orchids...I've been busy the last few days and never got a chnace to check out the forum.

I took a few pics yesterday. Here is one of the 4 spikes on my new Cymbidium Dark Spirit

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Hap, I had to use google to find out what ROTFLMBO means. In case anybody has the same problem: rolling on the floor laughing my butt off. Easy girl. They may censor you on this forum. I once used the word b*i*t*c*h in the sense of complain and I got censored. I thought they would censor my name too. :-)

The dendrobium is actually not as red as the picture shows. I was trying to sharpen it and it turned redder. It's a nice looking pansy though.

Today I move the rest of my orchids out. I hope for the last time. First I need to make a new area for all my little cuttings and seedlings which I also had moved. Yesterday was orchid class and company so I got nothing done outside. I must say, the orchids in the sunroom create quite a stir among non flower folks.

Ah, DW just reminded me that we first need to fold up the giant mountain of frost cloth. Work, work, work. The picture shows a small area that was covered and survived rather well. My blooming vanda still has it's flowers in tact.
fred

Thumbnail by fredrump
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

after nearly 2 years I finally got a spike on Dendrobium Garnet Jewel...this is the first bloom. Rather small in size but really dark. A total of 15 buds on the spike.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The fourth bloom on Phrag. Will Chantry...and one more to follow. Can't take credit for this one as it arrived in spike.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Todd, you make an art out of the picture itself. I just take quick shots. I need more time.

Here's the surviving vanda in a tree.

Thumbnail by fredrump
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

One of the spikes from my dendrobium kingianum

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.