OT: February Blooms

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

This thread should be getting more active by the end of the month! Then....BOOIINNGG!!!!! SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

I cut this plant back twice last fall, and then shamelessly neglected it, so I was surprised to find a few of these!
Hoya Bella Lancelotta Variegatta

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Another Mini Phal Noid--this one is pink, and a bit of a rebel, formwise. These mini phals just keep re-blooming!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have to get my new hoya book and find this one.......nice!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Has tiny pretty pink blooms, Gail!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm in love with your Paph!
Does she have a name?

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

I lost it--so it is a noid now. The gang on the orchids forum dubbed it "Funky Paph"!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

What kind of media is it growing in? I know that they are terrestrial and like soil close to what you would use for houseplants. I put mine in promix, with a little extra perlite. It has budded up 3 times for me, but blasted each time. Bummer!!!!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

It, and one other, is in a 1:1 combination orchid and AV mix. Seems to like it--have to be careful not to over water though.
Where do you get your pro mix?

This message was edited Feb 20, 2009 3:58 PM

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Usually get it at Home Depot when I need a lot. Smaller bags I buy at my local nursery.
Do you grow any other chids? I have an Oncidium, Zygopetalum, Brassiolaeliacattleya(is that a mouthful or what?), miniCatt, a couple of Phals and one paph that gives me a fit everytime!

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I love orchids...I just can't keep them alive. the leaves are either wilted and withered or they rot. I got a new victim for my bd in Dec....it will look okay for another 2 months at least and then start going down hill like every other one I've had. I've tried them in different growing mediums and have no luck with anyway I try. tish

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

i don't have a picture with me now but I bought a new Oncidium (can't spell) today.
All of my orchids except for Vandas are potted up in Orchid Bark and a bit of peat......that is all but I do feed them regularly.

I think it depends on where we live as phals are the easiest to grow where I live and some of them are hard for me to grow.......

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

After seeing my Mom jumpt thru' hoops to keep her orchids going, I thought I would never grow them. Then I moved to Hawaii. With God doing all the hard work, my orchids grew huge, had lots of babies, and always seemed to the healthiest that I have ever seen. I will never grow them in climates that don't suit them again. They do sooo much better in a better zone.

Now I just flat-out have zone envy so bad that I'm turning green.

South, TX

Pretty blooms.

This is a wonderful time of year for most orchids! Our all have spikes and buds on most. I love this time of year. Some bloom at diff. times, but most of ours do now.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

L O V E the orchids!!! I just bought one at Lowe's last week in the little net baggie. It was on sale for 2.98......hope it lives. I always forget to water orchids.

Here is Amaryllis 'Exotica' .... at least that's what it's supposed to be. It doesn't really look like other pictures I've seen of it.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

'Peacock Blossom'

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Hibiscus 'Snowfire'

Flowering in an east facing window. Looks better now than it did all summer. There just wasn't much white in the bloom in the heat of the summer.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous pics everyone--That hibiscus is to die for!!

South, TX

AV girl, the pictures are great! My inside amarylis blooms are finished, but the outside amarylis plants will bloom this spring. The hibiscus is wonderful! How nice that there is more white right now! I love it!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I think I could really get in to hibiscus and amaryllis! I love both of them and they are so readily available in our climate. My only concern is that hibiscus always get whitefly and I have to spray and spray.

YOurs are magnificent looking.

Wytheville, VA

I love amaryllis! Got this one 2 weeks ago at Lowes-marked down to $1.39!!

Thumbnail by kivit
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Very pretty, kivit. I noticed at Walmart the other day they are marking down their amaryllis, to. Thoseare the ones still in the box, though.

Wytheville, VA

these were in a box,originally ten bucks!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Phal- It looks a lot like Baldan's Kaleidoscope, but I am not sure.

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

nice!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I've shown this one in January, but it is still blooming in February, with more blooms. I love it! This is Phal Sogo Pearl.

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

GrowHappy, do you order your orchids or pick them up at shows? Thanks

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Morning Gail!!!

I've bought all my orchids at a local nursery during their bi-annual 50% off sale. The exception is the Oncidium Sharry Baby, which I bought at a show a few years ago.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks.......we don't get the unusual ones like you have..........

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Gail, I actually got that Sogo Pearl at Home Depot!!! It had been on my want list for some time and when I saw it there, I just about died. LOL

The NOID is an excellent bloomer. Long lasting(months) of flowers.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm growing on keikis of the NOID. If you would like one, just let me know.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

YOu are sweet but I am currently just trying to get the ones I have to bloom.........might return in the spring and ask for a trade.........

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I know what you mean. I have a Paph that has budded many a times, but always blasts. A Zygopetalum which will not bloom and a mini catt with the same issue. I refuse to buy more until these do something. Phals and Oncids are my only reliables.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

My orchids are blooming like crazy also--and most of them are HD rejects!!!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

BTW--I love Phal Sogo! Have you tried phaps yet?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Success with different orchids must have something to do with where we live. Dendrobium, phals and Catts thrive here in my weather.........the Oncidium have to stuffle a little to bloom. My vandas were doing great and bloomed twice. Now, they are not happy campers on the front porch anymore.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's my Zygo. Advance Ausralia 'Hof'. It was all the way in the back on the shelf covered because of the cold. I finally uncoverd the orchids after a week and found this beauty blooming her head off. One of the flowers had its petals kind of krimped. My yellow NOID cymbidium sent up a flower stalk too. The stalk was growing sideways trying to find the light. ^_^. When it blooms, I'll post her picture. Yesterday I was in Lowes and found two orchids in clearance. They were marked down to $10 so I had to rescue them. They were both in the fancy porcelen (sp?) pots. A great deal!!

Thumbnail by imadigger
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Gail, I have no luck with Vandas. Originally I had eight of them. I am now down to two. They don't do well for me. I have moved them from shade to sun, to morning sun, to late afternoon sun. Nothing seems to make them happy. This one was a beautiful orchid when I bought it. Now it's down to a few leaves. It blooms every year, I guess trying to please me.

Thumbnail by imadigger
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a closeup of the flower. Such a pretty blue.

Thumbnail by imadigger
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Orchids would not grow for me in NW Louisiana. It turned out that my water had for too much copper and other weird minerals in it and rainwater was all we ( and those with saltwater aquariums) were supposed to use. Maybe you should try rainwater instead of tapwater.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.