February Blooms

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

I for one am so happy it is February and January is over. Spring seems ever sooner.

This is Ron Myr photo of Dibley's Crystal Ice. I post it only because some varieties we tend to think of as smaller more compact streps can grow into large plants. This one shown is in an 8" pot.

Thumbnail by GoldLeaf91011
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

First blossom on AV Glitter Fountain -

Glitter Fountain (I. Fredette) Semidouble pink/some red fantasy, red sparkle edge. Variegated dark green, cream and pink. Standard trailer

Highland, IL

What a lovely plant!!! Thanks for sharing!

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

oh wow, i can't believ the size of crystal ice,i have that one, now i am afraid to repot it. lol
bonnie

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love all of Fredette's african violets. Wow, on the first picture. I need to let any strep grow to its' fullest capacity just to see one like that picture. She is wonderful.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a Crystal Dawn and she has never bloomed one time. She is now in a 4" azalea pot and I have tried every kind of fertilizer there is. Do you have any suggestions, Goldleaf or Bonnie?
I have been thinking of tossing her. She has several crowns.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Wow,that's my goal to grow a gorgeous strep like that! Beautiful glitter fountain goldleaf.I love the colors on the leaves.

DON"T TOSS THAT PLANT.LOL>LOL>Put her on the marketplace so I can buy it.hee,hee.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

gor-gee-ous! on Glitter Fountain!
Good to know about the Crystal series. I have Crystal Beauty, which I hoped would remain "compact". Was just noticing this morning that it is getting rather large. LOL

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I don't have alot to contribute at the moment, but here is the first blooms on Ness' Jesse.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Here is Mindi Rose.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Nice pics! Looks like you've been working on your camera skills too!^_^

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks. Except I was trying to focus on the blooms, but they turned out a bit fuzzy, and the leaves came out great!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Yeah...been working on that problem myself! LOL

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Great blooms, everyone!!! I love them all. My fav. today is yours, Goldleaf:
Crystal Ice. I've added it to my list of wants.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

CRYSTAL DAWN -
Dainty flowers of pale pink background with purple/violet veining covering the lower three lobes, with slight veining on the top two lobes. Very free, all year-round flowering with narrow strap like leaves.

From here showing all the 'Crystals'...

http://www.dibleys.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Page_4_5___Crystal_Streptocarpus_26.html

I honestly don't know why your plant hasn't bloomed Gail but don't pitch it! Try a high middle number fertilizer for a while.

Lovely color, Phoebesviolets.

Thanks for posting your pretty violets, syrumani. We need all the violet photos and info we can get to balance all the other gessies, namely streps, etc. to live up to the Forum's name ^_^.

Question: If a compact strep can grow so large, what would a mature strep look like that is categorized as a large grower left to grow it's full potential?

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Midget Lillian

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Rob's Dust Storm

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Orchard's Wonder Twin

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Pretty! How many violets do you have, phoebesviolets?

Rob's Shadow Magic (6802) 01/04/1988 (R. Robinson) Semidouble dark blue. Crown variegated medium green and gold, pointed, glossy, serrated. Semiminiature

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

How do you ladies know which ones are good? That Shadow Magic is to die for!!
And.......I am always a pink lover and Orchard's Twin is a beauty.

South, TX

Wonderful photos! Mindi Rose is a BIG fav. of mine, Syru. She is ALWAYS in bloom and the leaves are as soft as velvet.

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

my crystal ice always has blooms on her, & she gets ignored most of the time, however she is wicked,she does'ent bloom like the first picture here, but i have not given her an extra food etc, might try it thou.
bonnie

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Rob's Shadow Magic is beautiful! I love the color contrast and variegation--I guess that's why I like Rob's so much...and Buckeyes...and Silverglades...and Wrangler's... and... and..and...LOL!
Don't know how many...I've been rebuilding, as twice last year, I dismantled my relatively small collection d/t life events, have not kept count, and am still re-organizing...

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with your choices as I am partial to variegated violets.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Have to share two more sinningia speciosas this morning. Jack Evans purple seed seems to produce the best ones other than Jack Evans red.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

another Jack Evans purple with a different 'twist' in color

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

One pretty episcia on her way to the nursery in Seguin.........Jim's Hall's Choice

Thumbnail by gessiegail
South, TX

So pretty, Gail!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Hmmm...shih tzus and variegation--are you sure you are not my long lost twin sister? hee-hee
There used to be a Yahoo group--Variegated Violet Village--til it got hacked last year :-(

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Now see Gail--I know much less about the other gessies...I know The yellow episcia--can't recall it's name--It's really pretty!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I gave you the name (LOL) Are you here with us today, Jan???? ^_^

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Doh! I thought you were sending it to Jim Hall b/c it was his choice! I'm laughing so hard I can't type! :-P

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

THAT is funny! ^_^

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Bristol's sunset

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

That is so pretty! I love the pastels! SPRINGY!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd be happy to send you a leaf in the Spring if you want. This is one of the largest streps I have and it's becoming a space hog. Need to cut her back.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous pictures!
Lynn

Williston, ND

nice pictures ladies,save me a leaf of that bristols sunset

JIM

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

How are things going in N.O., Jim?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Will do Jim!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.