serviceberry won't bloom

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I planted 3 serviceberries (A. canadensis) in February 2002. They appear to be thriving--well branched with 3-4 trunks. Two of them are over 7 feet tall. Each year I await the much touted early spring blooms. They leaf out well but no flowers have appeared. Yesterday I examined the branches and don't see flower buds. What could be wrong?

If anyone in the deep south is having success with any type of Amelanchier I would like to know the details.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Treat them generously with a good dose of the product known as 'time'. I'd guess 3 or 4 years' worth should see them flowering.

Resin

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Resin. I guess you can't rush Mother Nature. At least it seems I will be rewarded eventually.

I thought I was being patient...I waited 7 years to question it!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2009 11:08 AM

Danville, IN

You should have blooms by the time the trees are this established. Did they bloom that first year they were planted, or were they already leafing out by then in your zone?

It's too late this winter to help them establish buds, but I would try to fertilize them with an acid fertilizer formulated for rhodos, azaleas and hollies this spring. Serviceberries like acid ground (although they do well here with our alkaline soils), and should respond to fertilization. Be sure to keep them mulched too. How much sun do they get? I have one in a pretty shady area and it still blooms although the tree is a little scraggly. Worse comes to worse, test your soil. Maybe it's lacking in something important for flowering.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I was googling a bit and keep running across the hardiness zones for A. canadensis being listed only up to zone 7...typically when you see that it means either the plant needs some winter chill in order to bloom/fruit, or hot humid summers make it unhappy. Since you're toward the warmer end of zone 7 I wonder if one of those could be a factor in the lack of blooms?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Amelanchier canadensis is supposed to be native to that part of Alabama according to the usda maps, though. Maybe the trees are from a northern source? Just a guess.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Don't know their origin...I got them from Musser Forests I think.
They are planted along a fenceline with oaks and hickories nearby. The ground is covered in old oak leaf mulch much of the year (except when I get around to cleaning it up!) And at bloom time there isn't a lot of shade around. In late spring through early fall they are in dappled shade most of the day. All sites in my yard that I have tested (with a cheap home pH meter) have tested somewhat acidic. I haven't tried the fertilizer but may try that next year.

One of the three is small enough to move to another site...I may try relocating it.

The one tree planted along the same fenceline that is thriving is my American smoketree. So I may plant more of those along the same fence.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I also have planted a number of serviceberries (several different species) and have yet to see a bloom.
Yet across town at Missouri Botanical Garden, the serviceberries are reliably spectacular.
Several of mine are 6-7 yrs or longer in the ground.
I'm presuming Resin to be right - I think they're just not mature yet.
As long as the trees look healthy, I've presumed they'll eventually kick into gear.
I've practically perfected the art of long-suffering patience...

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Ha! I solved the problem...
Bought a new one that had buds on it! Only about 3 feet high.
For the others, time will tell...

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

I have 2 Serviceberrys, got a few random flowers for the last 3 years since we planted them. Couldn't figure it out. Put in a deer fence last fall. Just checked the serviceberry's (along with everyone blooming bush) and voila -- covered with buds! do you have deer that may be munching your flower buds?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Deer I have! But I can't believe it would account for it. The trees are up to 7-8 feet tall; they would have to stand on tiptoe to reach the top branches. I never even see buds on these trees.

They are in a shady area but not when buds are forming...

I will have faith and wait till next year.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

One of my service berries actually has a bloom!
In fact, about 4 of them.
Sadly, not spectacular enough for a photo.
But it's a breakthrough.
Maybe next year, they'll really uncork.

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

For what it's worth it took mine over 4 years before they even hinted to bloom. I think it's just one of those things that they will bloom when they are ready. I have two eastern redbuds that are probably 8 years old and just this year one of them finally bloomed! Yet I see little sprigs on the roadside blooming lol...I love mother nature!

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Resin you were right! Good things come to those who wait.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wow, how nice. I've never had cause to doubt Resin, but this double cinches it, ha ha.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Yay! This year one of the 3 was loaded with delicious fruit. A 12 year wait!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for updating us, one of the best things about DG is how Gardeners share this kind of long-term info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.