What's In Your Garden, Part 5

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

It was nice and blizzardy here today. Toasty!

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Boo, did you get hit by that latest snow storm that hit Washington, DC & Maryland? I sure hope not. It was 88° in Phoenix today! It got up to 76° here in Happy Jack. Wow, we got to go outside and play in the yard. Boy are we going to be sore tomorrow. 8^( I'll bet JoAnne & Loveshorses got out in their gardens today in Payson, too.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Yup. Got hit and had my snowblower lesson. No schools were open. We got at least 8" and drifting. But it still feels like it's not mid winter.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

No - it just looks like it...? :-)
Brrrrr

Ammies in my garden!!!

Thumbnail by

Another group!

Thumbnail by
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Beautiful!!!

Great Rene!

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Rene, I'm gonna have to come back over and see those for myself. : ) Sooo purdy. : )

Come on over Lucy!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The golden trumpet tree announces the arrival of spring!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I haven't turned on the computer for three days because the change in weather has me working in the garden. One thing I did was completely change out the garden beside the front door. The Indian hawthorn are gone and coontie palms and orange bird-of-paradise are in. Here is the before pic.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And the after pic.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My screw pine is in place along with a couple of big rocks that may have rearranged my vertebrae.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Love that screw pine, Jim. I hurt my back routinely for beauty ("Beauty must suffer," my sister told me as she put make up on me at 5 years old.) Entrance looks great!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Kathy. I've been working hard in the yard. I'm hauling mulch and pruning like a wild man. I have to put it all on hold now to do the taxes. I hate that job.

God bless Christmas lights and blankets...mango tree in bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Well Jim, you're way ahead of me with the growing season. My Tababuia are just deciding weather to come alive again. Small signs of life are visible though. I've been out there pruning too but there is so much left to do. Yesterday was an off-day as we had two sets of company and this afternoon will be the same. Folks are stirring to go back north or are here to visit from there. So we must accomodate. We have to go places several times this week which will further reduce my available time.

I yesterday's tour of the garden I took a few pics and the most amazing bit of news was the resurrection of my elephants out back. They had been browned out completely by the freeze and here I saw brand new giants standing there already. They must grow an inch or two a day. Here a couple shots.
fred

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm 6 ft tall and I hold up my arms to get this shot over my head

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

next to those elephants are my bananas

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

as you can see there is some new growth and the nanas are not dead but the fruit stopped ripening and they are goners.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

where I had cut the frozen bananas back there is all kinds of new growth right out of the cut off stems and where I removed all the dead leaves. These buggers are vigorous growers and don't want to dii.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

since we are in an orchid forum, a question. Do caladiums seed themselves to orchid pots? I'm trying to figure out where these caladiums came from as I have no recollection of planting bulbs with my orchids. The caladiums are planted all around my orchids and somehow they must have transplanted themselves. Wierd.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

and another pot...

now these pots have been inside the sunroom for the winter and being that its warmer and sunnier in there has given the caladiums a false sense of Spring to start growing already. Outside I don't see them growing yet. Looks pretty neat though in there with the phals.

fred

This message was edited Mar 9, 2009 10:56 AM

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

anybody want some loquats? The brugs are growing like mad again after losing all their leaves and flowers.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

my lychee lost all of it's young growth and the associated flowers. This was their first bloom and now it's wait another year.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

same with the mango. Millions of tiny flowers gone. I'm afraid the tree would have bent down to the ground with all that fruit though. Do people cut out excessive fruit when all is well? I mean this tree was getting ridiculous with the amount of flowers on every tip of every branch inside and outside the tree. Last year was already a problem as I tried roping the branches to each other and staking them from below as they were about to break off from the weight.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

The worst damage is to my palms. I think I saved my bottle palms and most of the others will also come back with new growth but they'll look a mess for the coming year. The foxtails, royals and christmas palms seem to be hit the hardest. Out front I probably lost (dead) about 40 young Christmas palms. The arecas all look like they've burned in a fire. Their tops are all brown and black but below there is green so I suspect they'll all regrow from the roots. Young christmas palms don't do that. Here are some that will survive (I hope) around my pond.

Thumbnail by fredrump

Fred, the mango usually doesn' set nearly all the fruit on the blooms. They will usually not set or will drop off all but what the tree will support. I have seen them also rebloom after getting frostbitten.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

So far nothing on the mango but brown dried up sprigs. Last year I had mangos hanging like bunches of grapes all the way to the ground, 10 to 12 per bunch. If it wasn't for the racoons having feasts every day they would have mostly rotted. Last years bloom wasn't nearly as big as this year's. From my experience, a freeze sets the tree back a year or two. I had the same thing happen about three years ago and then slowly it comes back with more blooms and fruit every year after when there is no bad freeze. There may be different types of mango but mine surely gets cold quickly.

We'll see what happens this year and next.
Fred

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Fred, it looks like much is coming back. In a couple of years, you will be back to normal. Just be optimistic and it will all work out. I think I may have lost only one plant, the datura devils trumpet. It just shows no signs of life at all. Hap told me that would happen and she was right. She also sent me some seeds and I have them planted in a little seed greenhouse. With her help, I may break even. We are in full spring mode here and it is great to see the new growth. Here is a red knockout rose.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And a blush knockout.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And a pink one to complete the set.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a native iris down by the lake. I've got to get to bed as I have a library presentation on roses tomorrow. Cheers.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Fred,

It's terrific that so much is coming back.

That EE that you gave me is still in the pot, but not for long. It's growing beatifully. Thanks again.

Jim,

Hope every seed grows...LOL

Hap

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Hap, did you see big momma Elephant pics above? I'm curious to know whether yours get this big too from a genetic plant or if my black muck ground is the reason for the size. Right now the stuff is rock hard but the plants don't seem to care.
fred

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It will be interesting, for there's about 1 inch of soil over coral rock here. Plus, it will be in much more sun. The baby will go in the yard this weekend, so hopefully it will get use to higher light before summer is upon us.

Will keep you posted.

Hap

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The tabebuia tree is putting on a wonderful show this year and I wanted to share. In this pic, I'm under the tree looking up at the sky.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here I am standing several feet away looking up at it. What a sight.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is my ribbon palm (Livistona decipiens), blowing gently in the breeze. It is one of my favorite palms and is cold hardy in almost all of Florida. Why it is not more widely planted is a mystery to me.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh, is that PRETTY!! I had expected a pink Tabebuia tree, the kind I saw in Brazil. But this yellow one is just gorgeous !!!! WOW!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.