Snow Bunnies are eating my young shrubs!!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

We've got several inches of snow on the ground here in Steeler country, and hubby just discovered that the rabbits have been at our 3 young blueberry bushes and my dwarf Arctic Blue willow!! Not *too* much damage on the bluebies, but took two sides off of the willow....grrrrrrr!!!!
We're off in a while to see what we find to keep them away, but if anyone has a 'tried & true' repellent that works in winter I'd be glad to hear it!
We presume it's because of the snow cover; they can't find anything else to eat. (Why they don't munch away at the dried ornamental grasses that get cut down in two months anyway is anyone's guess, but nooo....) I don't suppose it would be a good idea to just leave them some carrots? Nah, probably not...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Can you grab some hardware cloth, encircle the plants and use twine or rope through the openings to keep it in place? That works, but even easier, get some burlap if you can find any and encircle the plants a couple of times - tie it with plant tape or twine. We use both methods and they work. Wrap to a point where they can't stand on piles of snow to nibble the tops, if you like. This works better than any repellent in the winter.

Donna

Owner of formerly chomped fothergillas, roses and other plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.