Growing Black Beans in New England?

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

I have a four-year old who LOVES black beans (don't ask--I've no idea) and she wants to plant some this summer in the garden. Problem is, I can't find any of the blasted things anywhere. Is it possible to plant the dried beans you find in the supermarket? The only online-seed place I've found that has them is Seeds of Change and after having had a negative experience with them a few years back I don't want to order from them. My daughter loves to garden and I'll be heartbroken if I can't find these for her. Any help greatly appreciated--thanks!

These kind?

www.localharvest.org/heirloom-black-turtle-bean-seed-C6667

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Schickenlady! I think they are the ones--I think the black beans we usually eat in Mexican dishes stay black, and don't turn brown when they are cooked as this says these do. I'm not familiar with Local Harvest and they're not listed in the Garden Watchdog--any experience with them?

If you google black beans a ton of them pop up. No I have not done any business with them.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yup thats them Sherrie! lol
They are usually called 'Black Turtle Beans , here's some more.
http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsOrderItem.php?id=384&SeedName=black%20beans

This message was edited Jan 30, 2009 12:27 PM

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Thanks again Schickenlady--I did google before I posted, mostly recipes came up and then searched "black bean seeds" and still not much luck. Maybe I needed to add the "turtle" in there?

Thanks pixie! I've heard of Fedco--will pro!bably go with them. Thanks!

I think turtle is the key word.

www.heirloomseeds.com/beans.htm

213 - BLACK TURTLE 90 days - This old heirloom variety was first introduced in the late 1700's, and has beautiful, jet black seeds. The hardy bush plants are disease and heat resistant, and are wonderful in soup!
PKT. - 1 oz. - $1.99 (approximately 100 seeds)
#O213 PKT. - 1 oz. - $2.75 - CERTIFED ORGANIC

This message was edited Jan 30, 2009 2:38 PM

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

LOL! You wouldn't have a killer black bean soup recipe, would you?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Not me but I love black beans and rice, red beans and rice and yes....white beans and rice too!! lol

I dont think I ever ate a black bean but I like Rice! Rice and kelbosa, plain rice with butter and spanish fried rice. Rice in my ham soup, chicken soup and rice crispies!

This message was edited Jan 30, 2009 2:47 PM

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a couple of seed packets which contain a potpourri mixture of who knows what.

I think one of them is a black bean. Not sure, but it could even be a large black speckled bean. I am going to plant it this spring, and pamper it so I get a good crop of seeds for next year.

Here's a picture of the seed in question. I am anxious to plant it already, but will wait until spring to make sure I do it right.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Sherrie - try some of the Zatarain's mixes - they're wicked good!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I agree Sue!!

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

WillieB--that looks like a Scarlet Runner Bean to me, or at least it looks like every one I've ever seen!

They are beautiful vines--I highly recommend them, just keep them away from the deer. The deer love them.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Oooo, it does, it does!! Thanks, Niere!! Pretty

I have no idea what it is! Came in with a bunch of wildflower seeds.

I am thinking it will be tasty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.