January weather here

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

End of January and beginning of February is somewhat a transition time between winter and summer. Temperatures this time in the last two months had touched 12C minimum. Max was 28 almost a constant during the days. Now it is gradually on the rise giving rise to summer which seems to be arriving a bit early, by probably 2-3 weeks, going by the Almond tree leaves that is shedding its leaves as early as January end. Normally it was during mid February or early March. I studied this pattern since 10-11 years. Once again, it would shed leaves in September. I've to watch this time. It should shed in August this year in all probability.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

And beneath this, lots of work!

Thumbnail by Dinu
(Zone 7a)

That's a great tree, Dinu. You've done a lot of work, I see. Very nice.

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

Dinu, what a lovely tree! You have been very busy, and it shows. Thanks for the sunshine! ;-)

Bonnie

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I forgot to add that the mosquitoes will increase henceforth to trouble us!! During winter, we have them in very small numbers.

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

Awwww, drat! Those little beasties are such a nuisance! We live on the lower end of the Chesapeake Bay, with the Atlantic Ocean just short distance away. The name of our town, "Poquoson" means (depending on who you ask) either "Big Swamp" or "Thick Woods". Judging from the size and ferocity of the mosquitoes in the summer, I tend to lean towards the "Big Swamp" translation. We're only half-joking when we say that during the summer, we hear the mosquitoes calling the control tower at Langley Air Force Base for permission to land. Sorry you're getting them so early in the year. Still, your garden is shaping up beautifully!

Bonnie

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks Bonnie. That is an interesting thing to tag a place with such names! If there was a 'controller of mosquitoes', 'it' would have had lots of e-mail requests asking or praying to spare humanity!!

Dinu

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

The name is Native American in origin. I agree, and if there is a "controller of mosquitoes", we need to find out the email address and offer "it" a very large bribe! Assuming you are familiar with the story of Noah and the Ark, I once saw a sign that said, "Why didn't Noah just swat those two mosquitoes?" ;-)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I made a collage of 3 pix to see how quickly they went red and fell. Today, just one or two red ones remain and in most branches, the fresh raw leaves are showing up. Observe the net over the pond that has caught a few leaves in it.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.