Boron deficiency?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The tomatoes in one row have this problem. They are outside the fence, the soil didn't get tilled as deep and they may have been missed when I added organic fertilizer with minor elements. They are seperated from the inside row only by a wire fence. The inside row had slight damage. I added epsom salts and green sand and watered in well. The inside row has completely greened up and these in the outside row have improved some. It is common in areas with low rainfall and high pH to have problems with boron uptake. The soil pH is slightly high, 7.5+ and I'm working on lowering it, but that must be accomplished slowly.
I do not have bugs,(I check every day, no leafhoppers, no aphids, no thrips and no whitefly) there has been absolutely no herbicide used anywhere on this property 3.5+ acres and I know the neighbor on the closest side does not use herbicides either.
All seedlings were from the same packet, grown in the same large (20 gallon) starter pot and transplanted to the garden one week apart, the inside row was planted first. I had to replace three of the tomatoes on the outside row when an armadillo broke them. They are just starting to show slight yellowing on new growth, so it is definitely something in the ground. I've narrowed it down to either boron or calcium deficiency and possibly copper, but I doubt it. I'm leaning toward boron deficiency. Any opinions?

Thumbnail by Calalily

These are improving some. They were as white at the ones above last week. This is after adding greensand and epsom salts.

Thumbnail by Calalily

This is a photo of the two rows together. The outside row(left hand side) is the one with the problem.

Thumbnail by Calalily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.