Has anyone ever seen a variegated 4 o clock?

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

It was a seedling I found.It had pink speckled flowers and made a variegated seed that dropped off and got lost lol! Now, I hope it comes back from root. Karen

Message edited for grammar, usage and mechanics.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2009 8:30 PM

Thumbnail by gardener2005

Well,I have and I hope to see a variegated 4 o clock again this year. :)

Louisville, KY

never seen one. Hope it comes back .

Me too. It had speckled pink flowers like this picture. I thought it was cool. The picture is one of the plants in the same group where the volunteer variegated plant sprouted. This one had the same color flower as the variegated one but had normal leaves.

I read somewhere that they do happen and they are rare. The striped seed will grow variegated plants.

Karen

Thumbnail by gardener2005

Brian, nice to see you posting.

I don`t know if anyone will find this interesting but this is what I found about my interesting plant.

Quote Article:

{After rediscovering Mendel's laws of heredity, which apply to chromosomal inheritance, he undertook experiments with the four o'clock (Mirabilis jalapa) to investigate apparent counterexamples to Mendel's laws in the heredity of variegated (green and white mottled) leaf color. Correns found that, while Mendelian traits behave independently of the sex of the source parent, leaf color depended greatly on which parent had which trait.}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Correns

I thought it was interesting that it mattered which parent provided pollen in this case whether the offspring came out solid or variegated.

It may be a unrelated concept but I used the pollen from Bengal Tiger on some canna crosses... just to see. :)

Karen

Louisville, KY

Karen I have been trying to breed variegated plants for years and I have had some luck. The best luck is if you have a variegated plant with blotches such as yellow or white. This plant should be the mother plant and produce the seeds. It seems that this mutation can usually run up the stem and also effect the ovaries. In a lot of cases you get the soil white variegated plants and the solid green with a small precentage being variegated. At times these variegated plants seem to be sterile such as stuttgart or the Ae Ae banana. The other trait like that seen on Bengal tiger and Tropicanna are from Chimera mutations. It seems that even with them being the parent plant that this trait is not passed on.

If you look on the Canna forum now I have a few photos of seedlings of Canna bengal tiger I was able to get 5 seeds one have sprouted. I hope the rest sprout as well.

Thanks Brian, I saw the Bengal Tiger seedlings. I`m thinking Begal Tiger had to happen the first time some way or another and it could happen again.

Karen

Louisville, KY

I am sure that the chimera effect can happen again but it seems to be more by chance than breeding. Of course I think you can up your chances by making certain crosses. This year will hold a lot of answers for me in this area.

szarvas, Hungary

Karen intersting the variegated foliage in 4 o'clock, something really new.
The lime foliage are not really in one colour , it's in fact variegated yellow and green.

Dany

Thanks, I sure hope to see it come back this year. :) Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Karen,
I sure hope you get some variegated seedlings from this one. At one time, I had a couple of Stuttgart cannas, but they did not do really well for me...

Good to see you guys posting again.

Antoinette

Thanks Gourd. Good to see you too. :)

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I wonder if you can take cuttings of 4 0'clocks. If so, you could propagate a bunch of these and have a better chance with the seeds.

I believe so. That is exactly what I will try doing. I will also use a seed net so I will not loose the seeds this time around. :)

I want one. I think it's beautiful.

(Standing in line behind ehinaceamaniac!)

Ok, ya`ll can have some but you better be praying with me that plant grows back!

:) LOL!

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Karen's variegated 4:00!

whoa that's deep LOL

LOL! :)

Lord, we thank you for this wonderful day and ask that you protect Karen's pretty variegated 4:00. Please let that plant sprout this spring for us all to have a chance to own one someday. In your name, amen!

szarvas, Hungary

amen !

Amen! LOL nice to see other folks as whacko as I am LOL

I have a variegated flowering Impatiens balsamina whose seeds I obtained in a trade with another person from Louisiana. She lives in Metairie, near New Orleans. White spots all over the various colored flowers (red, coral, pink, purple). I wonder if it is the environment that is inducing this type of leaf or flower, Karen? I have observed the trait to be quite stable over several years for the balsams, and even in some plants have witnessed so much variegation that it appears the flower is white with touches of the parent color instead of vice versa. It is very cool to see.

I like the leaves of the varieaged leaf 4:00 you have...isn't this plant winter hardy in your part of LA?

Joseph

Thumbnail by

Hi Joseph,

That is beautiful!

I have never seen a variegated 4 o clock until this year. I wonder if it was the neighbor`s weed killer behind the fence but it was a one and only volunteer seedling mixed in with the other normal plants.

The frost kills the plant but 4 o clocks have a tuberous root that will sprout another plant in the spring. I hope the rain didn`t hurt it or rot it. Still, in that bed where the seed fell it could sprout another one or a whole bunch of them. We will see. :)

Karen

szarvas, Hungary

from Japan variegated 4 o'clock

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

an other

Thumbnail by dany12

Hi Dany,

That is awesome. Where did you find the Japanese 4 o clocks?

szarvas, Hungary

in Japan, they need seeds , they 100 $ a piece.

Thumbnail by dany12

They are desperate for them at $100 !!! I must show them my picture. But I better wait till I know I still have it. LOL!!!!

Karen

szarvas, Hungary

Perhaps something interesting about variegated in Botanic, coming from Japan.
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.poporo.ne.jp%2F~kondoh%2Ffuiri.htm&sl=ja&tl=en&history_state0=

Hi Dany,

That was a good read. This light yellow flowered one is neat.

http://www.poporo.ne.jp/~kondoh/fuiri/oshiroi7.jpg

I don`t know how you find all this good stuff. Thanks for the great information!

Karen

I have decided to donate a total of 5 seeds to hybridizing science for the interested people. If your address is not in the exchange you need to send it to me. One seed a piece (provided I get seeds and my plant is a survivor) and you want it. :) Karen

1.bwilliams
2.dany12
3.Gourd
4.echinaceamaniac
5.Gerris2

-Closed-

I`m going to see if I could get a patent on it first. Does anyone know how to do that so a person can get credit for what they find and also to avoid getting in trouble if someone else already has a similiar plant? Karen

Karen, contact Plant Haven. I bet they could help you out. I'll definitely take a seed!

Mesilla Park, NM

Me too, I'll take a seed..

I wonder if the variegation is like the adendium seeds, kind of a like hit and miss, you may get one and you may not.

Thank you for sharing them with us.
A.

Ya`ll are welcome. :)

szarvas, Hungary

Karen , what a good idea ! .
I like mirabilis , this year I'll try to produce tri-colour . I 've one root of 2008 and 10 seeds ( I send you seeds ).
The root for sure it's tri-colour but the seeds I don't know.
Here is a pic

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

The tiger yellow

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

and the tiger orange

Thumbnail by dany12
Louisville, KY

nice flowers look. I have not seen hybrids like this for 4 o'clocks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.