Shrub ID: Is this Ligustrum Lucidum

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

This shrub is performing extremely well in our yard and I'd like to add more of them - but I'm having a hard time IDing it. I think I have the tag from the original pot, which is why I'm guessing ligustrum lucidum. If it's something else, any help on the ID would be most appreciated.

I'm hoping to put more of these and additional golden euonymus in the ground next year so my tropical areas don't look so bad in the winter.

Thanks,
John

Thumbnail by keonikale
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Maybe you could post some additional pictures of this plant? Maybe of the whole thing, and some additional ones that aren't straight down on the top.

This plant doesn't appear to have oppositely arranged foliage (from that angle), which would make it something other than a Ligustrum species. Since I can only see the more vigorous stems on top of the plant, that might not be a positive ID feature. I also am not particularly familiar with all the various broadleaf evergreens that you can grow in South Carolina, or I'd offer an opinion on what else it might be.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, here's two new photos - still a fairly small plant, but it's remained very healthy looking given the location around trees. Makes for a nice winter filler.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

And another

Thumbnail by keonikale
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It reminds me of Prunus laurocerasus Cherry laurel

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Sorry, definitely not Prunus laurocerasus. Maybe something in the family Lauraceae?

Resin

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I think you're right Resin, looking at the leaf in front of me and those online - they do look awful similar to the Lauraceae leaves. I'm going to go dig through all my pots again, I certainly must have the label somewhere.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I was able to ID it tonight when I stopped by the store I purchased it from last spring. It's Illicium anisatum (Japanese Anise).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.