T-SHIRT QUILTS

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Some of my friends on another thread asked about the T-shirt quilts I have been making and wanted me to start a thread about them, so here it is.
When I get home from work tonight I will show you pictures of the T- shirt quilts. They are very easy to do but can be heavy. Both of mine were large lap quilts.

First, you look at all of the shirts you want to use and see how big is the largest of the designs. I like using a 15-16" clear square for that. Most of mine turned out to be between 14" & 16". Decide the size you are going to make your blocks.

Then cut off the sleeves and up the shoulder seam and down the side seams. Remember some of these designs may be on the back of the shirt, too. Make sure you have enough shirt around the design.
I found the leftovers make great dusting or polishing rags.

You need to buy fusible non-woven interfacing; my pattern calls for 1/2 yd. per shirt and I always have leftovers. Make you interfacing piece as large as the size block you want . Iron the interfacing on the back of the design on the shirt piece. Be sure to use a teflon pad or something between the T-shirt design and your ironing board. The heat from the iron may melt the design if it comes in contact with it. So don't iron the front of the design, just the back.

Now you are read to cut your blocks. Use a large clear square and center it over your design. Make sure you like the way it looks. I found that many of the designs were crooked on the shirt and you have to square them up. Also make sure that you have interfacing over the entire back of the block. Sometimes I have to add a little piece if I have had to play with the design.

Once you have the blocks cut out you put it together the way you would any other quilt with blocks, using stripping and borders. Since it is so heavy I don't put batting in the middle but you could if you wanted.
I also tie the quilt rather than quilting it; I don't want anything to take away from the shirt designs.
My largest quilt was 15"x15" squares with 2" stripping. I used four blocks across and five down; that made it the length of a queen size bed but not quite as wide, so you see these can be big.
There is a booklet on these quilts and I will give you the name when i show the pictures since it is at home, too.

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!