white heliotrope

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

wanted to know if anyone has any seeds of this to trade? plmk and thxs and what you would like in exchange for them thxs for helping

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't have any currently, but I have a plant for the white variety on order - it'll be coming as soon as the temperatures warm. How soon I would actually have seeds will depend on the size of the plant, but I would definitely have seeds by mid to late summer so drop me a line if you're still looking for some then.

~Amanda

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

sounds good thxs for helping me,i might wind up buying me one myself if i cant find seeds lol thxs again

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I really wanted seeds too and ended up buying the plant just because I couldn't find the seeds. For some reason 'Cherry Pie' and 'Marine' (and the dwarf version) are the only varieties I've seen offered as seed. But at least Select Seed does sell several other varieties, including the white, as plants.

~Amanda

Macon, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't think I've ever seen white heliotrope seeds offered commercially -- perhaps white is vegetatively propagated because isn't reliable from seed?

Just a thought...

Liane

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

It would definitely make sense as to why you don't see the seeds around - I just assumed that they had to be able to be seed propagated given that Select Seeds claims that the variety may go back to 1892, but heliotrope do reproduce awfully well from cuttings... I'll have to grow out some of the seeds I collect from the plants before trading them as such to make sure that they really are putting out white flowered plants.

~Amanda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Do you take cuttings in the fall and try to hold them over the winter like some people do geraniums? Also, I have heard of people trying petunias but I always thought petunias were annuals period.

Anyone know better and can tell me what you do with them?

Jeanette

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

DW always let the petunias dry up in the fall Then pull them up and let lay where they were allowing seeds to fall in same place Never had to buy seeds for 6 or 7 years . Now the new porch is all along there. Have to find a new place for them. In the spring she careully cleaned up the bed so as not to disturb the babies

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What a clever way to plant your flower bed!! And you would know what the seedlings were if you wanted to move them somewhere else. Very good.

Jeanette

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes although I did't want to wait for spring to start on porch to much rain to dig piers & get them poured..
DW wanted to thump my head but she loves me to much Besides she just have to take care of me LOL
She my have to any way my back is mad at me today so I'am trying baby it with short spurts of bending over
So I'am having a Pepsi

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

She probably doesn't want to have to keep getting you pepsis.

Jeanette

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Oh no she love's me She must she's still here LOL

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I usually overwinter a couple of heliotropes in pots. Before I had a greenhouse I kept them in the basement with lights. It’s over the winter that I take cuttings from mine (and collect and plant seeds) so that those cuttings are ready to plant by the time the temperatures warm but from what I’ve read, if you just wanted to overwinter cuttings, you’d be fine taking the cuttings in the fall before the temps get too low.

Same goes for petunias – most are tender perennials rather than true annuals so if you have fancy petunias you want to grow again next year – especially if it doesn’t come true from seed – you can overwinter cuttings for next year.

~Amanda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I tried that but they didn't root. Funny, I don't normally have trouble with petunias doing anything.

Jeanette

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

That's peculiar. The Petunia x hybrida is usually fairly cooperative in rooting, but there always has to be those contrary ones... Do you know about what temperature you tried rooting them at?

~Amanda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I honestly think they do not want to grow when it is going into winter. They know when the growing season is and when it is time to go to sleep.

Columbia Station, OH(Zone 5a)

Spookycharles, how do you root your petunia cuttings...I will be growing some p's the year and there will hopefully be a few I'd like to overwinter. any info would be appreciated as I'm a loser when it comes to rooting cuttings.
.....Helen

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Amanda can you root Purple wave petunias?

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I lay mine on the beds also and cover with leaves, but the heliotrope, lantanas, and lobelias I bring in ( I grow it in pots) it dries up and then comes back with a little watering and light in between.. I root my cuttings in a little water fountain tub down here in my basement where my garden is.. I have a pink petunia that is ready to pot, and the cuttings from my lime green coleus and sweetpotatoe vines are also rooted now.. currently rooting some vines.. hope this helps...

Thumbnail by joeswife
Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Plants can be annoyingly intelligent in that way, Jeanette - and I have read some sources that suggest that petunia cuttings do have a higher success rate when provided with an abundant amount of light and here in the north that can be a hard thing to come by naturally in the fall going into winter.

Helen, you shouldn't have too much trouble with them. I've never done much special with the cuttings. You'll want cuttings without flowers on them and the cuttings definitely need to be kept warm. I've read several sources that say they benefit from bottom heat, and while that may be the case, I can also attest to the fact that it's not required to get good results. Again I don't know if it's really required (I've heard others that have had success without it), but I've always used rooting hormone for mine. Other than that they just need to be in a moist, but well draining soil and kept in a fairly humid area until they've rooted so if you're doing them in a dry house it might help to enclose them in a clear bag.

Robin, I think legally the majority of the Wave series is likely protected (or maybe not...how long have they been around?), but horticultural-ly there wouldn't be any problems at all rooting any members of any of the Wave series or any of the other Petunia hybrids. I've actually seen some of the sources for professional growers that sell some of the Waves (I think it was the doubles I saw) to propagators as cuttings rather than seeds.

~Amanda

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

What an fabulous setup, Debra! And an absolutely lovely assortment of plants. You've had success with the petunias in just water then? I've heard others mention that but have never tried it myself.

~Amanda

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank You.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

sorry havn't been here in a bit.. yes if you take a ground cutting from a healthy petunia with several "arms" nip the arms, stick in water with a drop of peroxide and provide direct light they wil grow for you inside.. ..

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.