Favorite foliage fragrances... what an addiction!!!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the look and texture of the different foliages but I am a touchy, feely gardener. I have never liked cacti for that reason. I find myself drawn to the foliage plants with fragrance. Even that which is mildly offensive has a certain draw for my olfactory senses.

Do you gently rub the leaves of plants in the greenhouses and garden centers and sniff your fingers? I don't notice others doing that and I find myself surreptitiously scratching or rubbing my face or brushing a wild hair back just to catch a whiff and not look like I have a real plant addiction.

Does anyone else here share my perversion?

pretty foliage ~ BAD smell! lol

Thumbnail by podster
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Funny!
I have a Rose scented geranium I was given at a swap and while I would never buy one, I do enjoy the darn thing. Poor thing is nothing to look at but any time I brush past it it releases the best rose fragrance. I used to have a lemon eucalyptus that was awesome! Anytime I cut up garlic and my hands smelled of it, I would go pick some leaves and run them in my hands and the yuck was gone. I sure need another one!
I have found myself sniffing my fingers after pinching basil blooms lol! So, share your perversion.... Yes!
Caren

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I have thyme planted around a stepping-stone path and like the herbal smell when I walk in it or mow it. Viburnum carlesii fills the air with a spicy scent in spring. Although some people hate it, I kind of like the smell of tomato leaves, too. But my favorite aroma was that of a jasmine vine that grew outside our back door when we were living in Tucson. Made me think of Arabian nights for some reason.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Absolutely, Kristi (did you expect any less)...except I'm SO not discreet about it!!! Matter-a-fact I do it so frequently that Chloe began doing it last summer (at 15 months old). Started on the Rosemary and lavenders in my yard...
edited because I'm a moron and was thinking about Nery but responding to Kristi!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 3:00 PM

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I have a pine scented geranium that most of my friends/neighbors hate, but I love it, there's something about it that I'm forced to rub the leaves every time I pass by it. I have a couple of other scented geraniums, a few rose which are nice, I had a peppermint and then a choc peppermint that were my favorites but I lost them.

I just recently bought the Karma Sutra Mint Tree (Satureja Viminea) from Tops last month and I really do enjoy that scent...very minty, but sadly it's not handling the cold weather too well, it looks a bit shabby right now so I'm hoping it will pick up as I paid a pretty price for it. It has that peppermint bath gel smell, I love it.

I bought one of those vicks plants a while back, I love the smell of vicks but don't like the smell of the "vick's plant" it does grow well and I love the feel of the leaves so I'll keep it in my garden, but I"m not drawn to sniffing it.

Heavenscent I know what you mean about the lemon eucalyptus, I love eucalyptus, being the Aussie that I am, when I moved here I just had to have a lemon eucalyputs tree...that is one powerful scent, sadly I went on a cruise and came back and the whole thing was chewed off from the base, I guess my squirrels love it too, I remember as a child growing up, I would always chew eucalyptus leaves...weird I know. I'll have to get my hands on another one of those this year at the plant sales. I have the silver dollar eucalyptus also but it's not such a powerful scent like the lemon, the lemon almost wafts when you knock past it.

Podster, that picture you have there, it almost looks like one of the Cuban Oregano plants, I have both the plain and varigated leave forms that I love to use in cooking. But funny story, I lost all of them last year to the freeze we had but was so excited that I found one in walmart labelled "cuban oregano" I took it home and planted it. Wow, that is not the same plant, it almost smells like camphor to me, horrible smell I almost choke when I smell that thing. I guess there must be a couple of varieties, but I know for sure I"m not using it in my cooking. I have since got a couple of cuttings from my lovely neighbor that uses it in everything she cooks.

My favorite I would have to say is Lemon Verbena....I could smell that all day.

Here's a picture of my miracle berry with the Pine Geranium that I love so much.

Thumbnail by astcgirl
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Astcgirl, I really loved mine but didn't know how hardy it was do you? I had mine in a pot and lost it when I let it get too dry... I guess thats a nono along with Bauhinia's. Quite a bummer I really like both plants!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... not only do I sniff, I sneak tiny tastes of herbs when I can (I mean, how else to tell if that Greek Oregano is good & peppery?). I tell myself that pinching is good for the plants, anyway, makes them bushier so they'll sell better.

I *love* scented geraniums, and I've got my favorites... Lime, Cinnamon, Attar of Roses, Chocolate Mint, Cody's Nutmeg... I'm overwintering them behind the family room couch (up against the windows), and the fragrance is intoxicating, especially if I've been back there watering or the cat has been brushing against them.

I had a huge variegated Cuban Oregano that I finally gave away... I loved the look and feel of the foliage but just couldn't take that medicine-y smell any more. I'm glad to know there are less camphorous ones out there... I'll keep sniffing, LOL.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, and I was just mincing some rosemary for soup (had to venture out in the ice for a couple of tips from my big bush!)... now my fingertips smell like rosemary, and I keep raising my hand to my face for a sniff... just realized I was doing that! LOL

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Heavinscent if it's the Lemon Eucalyptus your refering to, I'm not much help, mine was in a pot for only a month before the darn squirrels decided they were going to have it for lunch, they didn't just have a taste, they gnawed the whole thing off from the base....very weird, then I guess they didn't like it because the whole branch with leaves was just left on the floor. I know that in Australia they are ok in a drought since we've been having a drought there for many years, but that probably is just the established trees, they are huge and I'm sure their roots go way down. Not sure about pot culture, but I'm willing to try again.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I will be trying again too, I had it in my mind that Aussi plants don't like a lot of water but like you said maybe for established plants not potted babys lol!

Heavinscent, I was given a start of Chocolate geranium... my first beyond the common mosquito plant. I am afraid I am rubbing those leaves to death. It doesn't look that grand anymore. Am I guilty of killing it off?

Yes Astcgirl ~ that is what I know as Cuban oregano and it smells funky! Sorry but I can't imagine cooking with that smell. Someone else would have to cook it and I'd sample... 8 ) No matter tho, I still gently roll the leaves between my fingers and breath deeply! The mints I love! Satureja Viminea sounds wonderful but I suspect it would be too tropical for here. I like the menthols and am quite fond of the Vicks plant too. Will never be without one of those touchy, feely plants! 8 )

Another skunky smell ~ society garlic ~ but I love it! Nibble those too. And onion and garlic and.... I love the acrid smell of tomato foliage. I rub and sniff them every chance I get and didn't even realize it till you mentioned it DonShirer!

Critterologist ~ I agree on the sampling and uninhibited finger sniffing when it comes to the herbals. In fact I find I grow many simply for my sniffing pleasure rather than putting them to good use.

I do like Eucalyptus and have already killed one of them. No doubt massaging it to death.

Chantell ~ with your refined sense of fragrance, what is you fav? And where is Vossner?

I've managed to kill one lemon verbena and hope to have another one this spring. Lemon is a delightful fragrance for me. But... my most favorite nose candy is Allspice ~ Pimenta Doica. It is the most mouth watering fragrance I have come across. It is a tropical tree and small, slow growing. Probably stunted from me rubbing and smelling but exquisite! I put it just out of reach so I have to think before molesting it! 8 ))

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

!! Kristi !! You're killing me...I can not get another plant require a big pot...but the way you describe that Allspice....hmmm, wonder how it would fare in a container????? And despite your comments on that Chocolate geranium, I will not...repeat...will not obtain any more - keeping my rose ones from Critter & my Vicks from another MA DGer...that's it. Yes, lemon verbena - liked that one - although mine was decimated by spider mites before I knew how to handle them a few years ago. You know what's positively yummy IMHO - the Pineapple Sage! Not hardy here (go figure) but if that doesn't bring back memories of Pineapple Lifesavers - nuthin' will. As for my Rosemary, God bless her, I've never used her for cooking despite loving that scent...but golly she gets PRUNED at least twice a year!! Last but not least...my Province Lavender - always and forever hold a special place in my heart...lavender ~ where it all began....ahhhhhh

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 11:06 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, didn't you sniff the allspice babies that a couple of ordered last winter? I'm trying to resurrect mine currently... poor thing got neglected, ended up in a "high & dry" corner of the watering tray. If I lose it, I will definitely order another, as the fragrance of the leaves is out of this world. Wellspring has them. :-) I think you can grow this one like a sweet bay (and my bay is doing fine, so maybe I can do right by this one eventually).

My lemon verbena came back last year after overwintering in the basement; we'll see if I have similar success this year or not. Pineapple sage didn't overwinter for me (same basement method), but I'll look for another one.

I bought 3 little 'Province' lavenders last spring, but only one looked like it was doing well at the end of the summer... a lovely fragrance, and a little more delicate than my Fat Spike (L. grosso), I think.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill - where did you order them from? Meadows farms carries the Pineapple sage so if you have a problem finding it ...just let me know and I'll pick one up for you. Walmart gets their "Bonnie" brand herbs in and has last few years had the 'Provence' in nice sized 4" pots - you just gotta grab em' before they either bake or freeze them....I'm always wanting to grab them all and bring them home b/c I KNOW what will happen if they're let to sit out there. Very sad.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've seen some problems I didn't like with other "Bonnie" plants, so I generally avoid them. I'll probably pick up another lavender or two at DeBaggio's next year, depending on what he has when I'm there. My 'Provence' came from a cute little road side nursery in PA last summer... I put them right in front of the deck landing, hoping someday to sit on the bench and dangle my feet in the lavender (if the bees will permit).

I think my pineapple sage came from that nursery Miatablu introduced me to (not that I can remember any names at this hour LOL), or maybe I just saw them there... But I'll let you know if I can't find it. I'm hoping my scarlet sage comes back (a little tender for here, but it should be protected by the big rock)... it wasn't fragrant like pineapple, but hooo boy did the hummers love it!

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Ok what's all this "allspice" everyone is talking about and why don't I have one! LOL.....seems to me this one has already landed itself on my "want" list now....Is it this one your all refering to? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/550/

Sadly I'm pretty bad at lavenders....they never last here, but I do remember them growing up, loved that smell.

Chantell ~ My Allspice is a small plant and in a pot. I forget where I ordered mine from but when I opened the package, it was instant love. The leaves had been gently bruised in shipping and the oil released. It was exquisite. Wish I could share the fragrance here!

Rosemary and pineapple sage in ground here. I walk by and brush the branches and smell deeply but am not as enthused about the pineapple sage. First year so maybe it will improve. Does anyone notice the foliage fragrances are more muted when the soil is wet?

Astcgirl ~ nope! This is the one... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73503/ Try it, you will like it! Heck, you will love it! Guaranteed and if you don't, just send it to Chantell. She would be forever in your debt ~ LOL I love lavenders but don't think they do well in our humidity here. Probably same for you in FL.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

"Chantell's" found one!! Yipeee!!! LOL I work fast...what can I say!! So even as a little guy they smell good, eh?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Aside from herbs. I have a big hedge of anise bushes. I dont even like licorice, but I love to vere the lawnmower into those things and just inhale. They are just a shrub and have nothing to do with real icorice. Just smell like it. Well, I dont think they have anything to do with it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... Chantell, you've got Dmail

Sarasota, FL

My favorites:
Tulasi -pron. tull-see: Holy Basil.
Any other basil.
Rosegrass aka Palmarosa Cymbopogon martinii var. motia
Rose Geranium
Patchouly-Pogostemon sp.
Backhousia citriodora
any species of mint
Love the Cuban oregano-sure ya'll don't have a variegated dog poo plant? (But yes it's strong!)
Lavenders
Piper betle-Betel leaf vine
Piper auritium-running rootbeer plant
Allspice and it's cousin Bay rum.
Asctgirl plant your lavenders outside now. The variety that has the indentations like a feather do best L. dentata? Mine usually die in Aug.
Oh! Don't forget the native lemon Bacopa caroliniana, as well as the wild pennyroyal Piloblephis rigida (darn, they changed the name again!).
Tomato foliage scent makes me time travel to my grandma's in Montgomery as a child.
There's also Lemon grass and citronella grass.
Who made up the name Kama Sutra for the mint bush native to Puerto Rico?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mercy, Kevin YOU must have THE most amazing selection of plants...whew!!

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the advice on the lavenders Kalpavriksha, I'll try again now.

As for the Mint Tree being named Karma Sutra, I think it has something to do with bath and body gels are made from this plant, well that's my understanding. There's a whole line of products apparently that have this tree in their ingredients.

I was looking up a couple of your plants...you certainly got me occupied searching now. LOL

I think that "dog poo" plant you say is the one I got from Walmart named "cuban oregano"....it really does stink doesn't it. My other two varieties are a much more pleasant smell, and my next door neighbor who is from Guyana makes the most delicious rub for meats using the Cuban Oregano, Hot peppers and other herbs....she uses it religiously for EVERYTHING and you can tell, everyone in our street knows when she's cooking. YUM

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Regarding the Cuban Oregano, I've been using it to underplants my brugs in containers--it seems to repel critters and insects, which I learned from a friend.

Don't forget about the Peanut-Butter Shrub (tree) the leaves smell just like Skippy when rubbed--this is a wonderful 3 season tree with scented butterfly attracting flowers and turquoise & red seed pods in fall.

My favorites are Lemon Balm - an easy annual that reseeds and has almost the look of salvias with a thicker, slightly furry leaves--I have no problem chewing those or throwing the leaves into tea.

And then there's Perrilla, from the oregano family--another easy reseeding annual as well, I love the spicy fragrance of this and cant wait to stroke it--anise or licorice scent with something more. Besides that, they make a great accent plant with their multi color leaves of green, bronze and purple.

Thumbnail by violabird

Yes to the lemon flavors... lemon balm, lemon grass, lemon verbena (of course), lemon catnip which at first smelled kind of woofy but as it aged, the lemon scent started popping.

Yum! Perrilla or anything anise or licorice flavored... double yum! Gardenglory what is the anise shrub? It sounds delightful. Speaking of licorice, does anyone else like the tarragons, (Mexican mint) or the fennels?

How about the dills?

Kalpavriksha ~ you do have an interesting blend of plants. Does the bay rum smell good? I grow the Piper Betel but hadn't noticed a fragrance. Need to go rub it. Also need to go do some research myself on some of these new and interesting plants...

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Its just a big ole shrub. Like a ligustrium or something. Very unimpressive, really. It does make a nice screen tho. As for the smell, it just surprised me everytime that a scrub could smell like that. I will take a picture when the sun comes up I believe they root pretty easy. I dont know if your a rooter, but I could try to send some cuttings. It might freeze tho, altho its held strong in the recent 20's.

I am interested in researching it, may be willing to give it a sniff... I'd like to see a photo.

Does anyone here grow Agastache? Do you find the foliage fragrant? The few I tried were a bit disappointing.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The foliage of my 'Honey Bee Blue/White' agastache does have a light, pleasant herbal (not sure how to describe it) fragrance, but really only when brushed or rubbed. I think some of them (like maybe the licorice one) might be stronger. ?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yepper THAT was my mystery plant last year prior to flowering...foliage definitely had a scent...pleasant but herb-y

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is a picture of the Anise that my daughter brought home from the native plant sale last year. It will bloom red in April or so, and even with the yummy foliage, the blooms smell like fish.

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is the Anise on the side of the house. It has never showed signs of blooming, but it does that that licorice smell

Thumbnail by gardenglory

I'd be curious to know what they are. Do they favor each other?

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

I have to take a moment to laud bay rum. It is a lovely tree with exfoliating bark and pinkish new leaves. I love allspice, but bayrum really makes me gush. And there is a lemon scented variety, too. It comes up from seed very well, although pretty tropical. I think it could be a good candidate for a seedling/houseplant pet if you can come across it.

GG- I remember Anise when I lived in Orlando. It is fun to trim! I didn't realize that about the blooms, how funny.

Fun thread! I might be the only one here who actually likes that cuban oregano.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

F4F, I was thinking of starting the Lemon Bay Rum and Bay Rum from seeds (if I find them) since the shrubs are a little on the $$$$ side....does it take long do you know to be able to smell the leaves?....does it get enough height like within a year?

Hmm..... dunno. But, will let you know if my seedlings survived. I have not assessed the seedlings in general, yet, sorry :-( , but I know the strong bark seedlings did not make it and all of my established palms and plants are fine. Been too busy with short days and such. I may have extra seeds if the seedlings didn't make it ( I planted them in late fall), send me a Dmail reminder if you are interested and I will "catch up" with all the trade goings-on in the next 3 weeks. Just a hunch, but I suspect the lemon bay rum may have to be air layered.

Oh, oh ~ sounds like a bunch of enabling going on here! LOL

What, us?

Update on the seedlings- they are just fine. I have five total, but had started out with more, so I think nothing to do with the cold but maybe too wet. Out of the five, two are very lightly scented, and 3 are not yet, but I did rub them extremely gently because they have such a few tiny leaves for now. They are just over an inch high, and they came up easily. As they were planted, oh probably November, I think their progress is great. Don't know how much they would grow in a year, but I would bet as the tree in general is a moderately fast grower they would be at least one gallon size. I think the fact that at least 2 of them are already a tiny bit aromatic means that a seedling within its first year would likely be also.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Heaven forbid a week should pass without me adding another plant to my "want list"....

Thanks the rave reviews about it, I searched plantfiles for Bay Rum and didn't get any hits. Is it by chance the Pimenta Racemosa that I found on this website?
http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Bay_Rum_Images.htm

This message was edited Jan 31, 2009 11:13 AM

OK, so I can't spell. I found it in plantfiles.....NEVER MIND.

On the subject of Cuban oregano, the ones pictured are different varieties of plectranthus---the Cuban oregano I was turned on to by a native of Cuba is actually a succulent plectranthus with fat little green leaves. Unfortunately, mine just croaked in the cold, so I can't post a photo. The scent and flavor are VERY different from the Vick's Plant variety and all other plectranthus I've encountered.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2009 11:17 AM

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for checking F4F, that's pretty good that a few months and you can already smell the leaves. I'm going to go searching for the seeds. Get started now while the weather is so weird.

Here's a pic of my smelly leaves.

Top Left (large leaf) Cuban Oregano - has a nice fragrance for cooking.
Bottom Left (this is the varigated Cuban Oregano, it usually is a lot larger in leaf size but I had to pick the young top leaves as the freeze killed most of it off. - this has a similar taste to the Top larger leaf but it's not as woody.
Top Right - this is from my vicks plant - it feels like velvet and smells like strong vicks.
Bottom Right - This is a mix of the so called Walmart "cuban oregano" varieties....they smell horrible like camphor.

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

astcgirl---interestingly, none of the leaves you pictured (what a fantastic collection you have!) look like what my friend told me was used in Cuba for cooking!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.