Canna Seed ?

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I need some one to tell me an easy way to slightly break the hard covering on the canna seeds. I have even soaked in warm water to help soften them so I could break the covering slightly but to no avail has that happened. I have done everything everyone has suggested and still no help. I know there has to be an easy way but I don't know what that could be myself. ANYONE?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Use a nail file and rub on one spot til it shows white. That's the easiest way.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I have done that too, I have one of those very coarse files and tried that and never broke thru the cover, almost broke my file trying to get covering to show a little of the embryo. I really don't know what else to do.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

flower, I use my husbands big file from the garage it will do the job quickly. BEV

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks I'll give it a try. I never seen anything so hard. Makes you wonder how they ever germinate. LOL

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Hold on to them tight with a pair of needle nosed pliers and you will get the job done. HUGS BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank You I did that this morning and finally got thru to the embryo just enough to break it covering. Man that is a job that I'm not sure I would take on and try raising Cannas. I have some more coming so now I'll do that instead of trying any thing else. I was really frustrated with them and really to the point of throwing them away.
Hugs Carolyn

Pretoria, South Africa

HI Carolyn,
I use nail clippers to nick them. It takes only a few seconds. After that I soak them in water for a day or two, changing the water regularly, and then in the pots they go!

Good luck,
Elsa

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I tried the nail clipper thing and my clippers weren't big enough to get a good bite on them to even get a nick of any kind. The file thing worked for me this morning though so I guess I will do that instead and that way I don't get frustrated with them.

(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

Flowerfantasy I found a easier way to get this done. It actually kills to birds with one stone. I purchased the Pedi-Care for my dog's nails and it has been the best $20 I've ever spent. I use it on my puppies and to file down my canna seeds. U can get 50 canna seeds in less than 10 mins without hurting your fingers or damaging you manicure and if your cat, dog, bird is close by get their pedicure done too. ^_^

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh wow!!!! I never even gave that a thought , DH has a dremel and I may try that next time too. I do have my puppies but they fight me so bad when it comes to trimming their nails I don't know if they would even let me close to them with that or not. They just don't like their feet messed with. I can just barely touch one of their feet just petting them and they jerk it away.

North Richland Hills, TX(Zone 8a)

I used the dremel method this past weekend and it worked like a charm! Good luck!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I use pliers to hold and toe nail clippers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.