Starter GH on the Cheap

Panama City Beach, FL(Zone 9a)

This little 7X8 came from a company that sells just the metal joint components. The have a fairlly accurate material list and cut list. Its all treated 2x4 and the longest one is 10'. The kit cost $60 and the 2X4's $90. My neighbor and I put it together in one afternoon. I covered with found plastic that the resorts here use to cover swimming pools during the off season so I have no idea what the plastic expense would be. I will probably find out next year when I recover it.
Its nothing fancy but it is Cheap if you are into DIY.

Thumbnail by beachglidr

A peek inside.

Thumbnail by beachglidr
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Cute. You may have to replace the plastic after while. They do sell UV protected plastic for GH's which I suggest you use when it's time for a new skin. Happy growing.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

That's a good idea somebody came up with. Great little starter greenhouse at an affordable price. I think you've got a real nice little greenhouse. Good luck with all your plants.

Pam

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Excellent! Cheap is 2nd favorite price - right after free, lol!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Great little greenhouse! Ya done good!

Question....homemade upside down hanging planter? Yes? Details?

Yes Msrobin, upside down Tomatoes this spring. I am using 2 gal pickle buckets and plan to produce about 30 per month. I can hang 15 on the hangars on the outside of the GH and run drip irrigation to each one. I will put it on a timer this spring and adjust time and volume to keep them moist. The three I have going now are volunteers from last year and I am not sure what species they are, I had cherry, roma, and early girls in the garden. I will experiment this spring to find what adapts best to the upside down thing. Currently have Beefstake seedlings getting ready for the next transplant but have reservations due to the size and weight of the fruit they will bear. Its been a hoot and fits my "cause I can" mentality that keeps me occupied. Thanks for asking.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm impressed! How big of a hole in the bottom of the bucket? Did you use burlap or something else to keep the soil from coming out around the stems?

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Can you supply the name of the company for the joints? I have the perfect place but not the funds for a more expensive kit. Thanks!

I was thinking about doing that with my left over kitty-litter buckets.....

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

I keep mine recycle and reuse some of mine have ashes from the fireplace that I use to grow blueberries they just love ash

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I was thinking I could even use large bleach and detergent bottles for smaller rooted plants, the hole is already there, cut the bottom off (which would then be the top)...oops...I might have read about someone somewhere doing that already. My apologies for plagiarism!

Okay, now I'm confused. Aren't ashes alkaline? And don't blueberries like it acidic?

(Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm looking into blueberries right now!)

Edited to add: We won't turn you in, Robin - more than one person can have a good idea!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 4:38 PM

blueberries are found wild after a forest fire about two years later in the east of canada they control burn on blueberry farms, small amount of ash is good for them you just have to be carefull of what you are burning

Cathy4....google Fast Framer Standard Roof Framing Kit. It will bring up a lot of links of on-line companies that sell them. It is actually the framework for a storage shed. One of the links went to an ebay seller "Southern Belle Bargin" who had a buy now price of $17.99. Give it a look, its pretty easy.

thanks!

Msrobin....I cut the hole in the bottom with a drill and a 2 1/2in hole saw. Transplant the seedlings in a 4" peat pot and feed the plant through the bottom, take the bottom off the peat pot and fill the bucket.
Any 2 gal container should work...just have to figure out the hanging part.

Thumbnail by beachglidr

I wish I still had my old circular fold up clothes line pole, I'd hang one on each bar, I think there were at least 6 bars.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks, that is so cool and easy to make! The peat pot instructions are great.

In regards to the upside down bleach and detergent bottles, I was thinking maybe a simple macrame hanger. Wire could also be used to make a simple hanging basket-style support for the bottles. I was just thinking of ideas for reusable or cheap containers. I don't have a cat, so don't get those fantastic containers. :(

Geez, I have tons - lemme know if you come down this way!!!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hey, the new paint buckets now in most places are plastic and have a handle. YOu take the label off and they are black, lots of uses for that. I have seen folgers coffee cans, the plastic ones as topsy turvy too. I bought a topsy turvy not impressed. The plant on the bottom died, the one on top is doing good.

DH finally agreed that we need one since he is sick and tired of having flats in the house but I warned him that yes the flats would be in the greenhouse and that I would not take over the house anymore so he said that this would be the last winter with living with the flats that I would have my greenhouse by next fall

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.