Which apple tree for good pie

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

DW say's only Wealthy, She don't like it if apples stay hard in pie.
Any other recommendations.

tubbytee

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

IMO, if DW says Wealthy is the only good pie apple, I'd probably plant one of those :-)

But if you want to explore other options, here's an article with some info about different types of apples that can work well for pies http://www.ochef.com/855.htm But there are a lot of individual preferences--if you ask 10 people what the best apple is you'll probably get 10 different answers! And many of the apples that are generally considered "good" pie apples are going to be ones that do maintain some texture when the pie is cooked and it sounds like that's not what your wife wants, so the apples that are typically considered good pie apples may not make her happy.

If you decide you want to plant something else, I'd recommend buying a few apples of the types you're considering and make some pies with them before making the final decision, that way you know everyone will be happy with the tree before you buy it, plant it, wait patiently for apples, etc.

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Thank you for help. Dmil had a wealthy in back yard. Makes them kinda stuck on this one. But we will take your advice and check out the farmers market. Again Thanks

tubbytee

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I always mix mine with about 3 types but usually have to have 'Rome' in there. Granny smith and jonathan are usually my other choices.

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks
~Terry

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I agree with ecrane: Wealthy would be one of my last choices because it is a softer apple. Also not a very good storage apple and susceptible to apple rust, at least in my part of the country. But if she likes Wealthy, maybe she would also like Beacon, another soft and early maturing apple.

But I also have to agree, that if that's what she wants, Wealthy is what I would plant too.

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Thank you ALL
WE are still looking.

~Terry

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

My favorite pie apple is Haralson - great flavor, great texture and stores well. You don't have to mix it with other apple types to get a nice pie. It's very common around here, but I don't know how well it does in the "south", like Nebraska. According to Wikipedia, Wealthy went into its breeding. Peg

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Actually, I think Haralson is my favorite too. And the apple never turns to mush when baked, even over baked (yes, I've done that too).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.