Department of Energy

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I got this in an email today (from someone on DG!) and thought it was too interesting not to post...

Does anybody out there have any memory of the reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY during the Carter Administration? Anybody? Anything? No?
Didn't think so.

Bottom line . . we've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency, the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember. Ready? It was very simple, and at the time everybody thought it very appropriate.

The Department of Energy was instituted 8-04-1977 TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

Now, it's 31+ years later, and the Budget for this "necessary" Department is $24.2 BILLION a year. They have 16,000 Federal Employees, and approximately 100,000 Contract Employees.

Quoting:
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

~Thomas Jefferson

I wonder what all that money bought?

This thread has 16 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!