MY VERY FIRST QUILT!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Several of you have been so supportive (ie: 'enablers') while I recently developed an interest in quilting. My first projects were rag quilts and purses. As of this past Friday, Jan. 23rd, I am taking a beginning quilting class and am starting my first REAL quilt.

It's exciting to begin this adventure and I wanted to share it with you. Not only am I learning to quilt, but I'm learning how to use my new Husqvarna Viking Topaz 30 sewing/embroidery machine. If you are willing to indulge me, I'll probably share my first attempts at embroidery, too. My first embroidery class was the Saturday following the quilting class. We focused on learning how to program our computers for optimum performance of the embroidery machine. Once I figure out what the heck a 'dongle' is I'll proceed with the embroidery training. lol!

Ok, back to quilting. Here are the fabric selections for my first quilt. This photo doesn't do them justice as the colors are vibrant and beautiful. They are from the Charisma line by Chez Moi for Moda. The large piece of floral fabric will be the focus fabric - used in a wide border around a sampler style quilt. By the time the first class was over, we made our first 6 quilt blocks as seen at the bottom of the photo. One thing learned in this first class is to be careful when the machine has been turned off then back on as I lost my stitch width programing and had sewn several seams 1/8" wider than the 1/4" width originally programmed into the machine. So some of the blocks are not exactly square - the instructor said it will not be a problem that we can work with it. Whew!

We will be meeting every Friday morning through March 20th (except this Friday - boo hoo). Please join me and feel free to offer advice, constructive criticism, support, etc. That's what makes these DG forums so fun. So ...... here we go!

Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
This thread has 98 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!