The new 'Hope' coneflower...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello All :)
I just ordered 2 from Klehm's Song Sparrow...along with a "Matt's Gift" Daylily.
It's a lovely pale pink variety and no matter where you order this variety, "A portion of all sales aid the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation."
http://www.songsparrow.com/2009/plantdetails.cfm?ID=358&type=SUN,&pagetype=plantdetails

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 11:37 AM

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I have two that were new last year. I like them very much. They are a nice pale pink and a large flower. Here is a pic of one in the early stage of bloom and one near the end of the bloom. I am really looking forward to them returning after this long cold and snow filled winter.

Thumbnail by ngam
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello ngam :)

Thanks for posting the lovely pic! Maybe you can start a new plant file on it for DG. There is nothing currently here yet for this variety. I had to do some mega researching to find this variety...and just a day or so ago it's starting to appear at more online nurseries. I just wrote an e-mail to Big Dipper Farm about their posting it as 12" for height...where others say it's between 24-36" for height...
How tall did it become in your garden? It would help me a lot to know where to plant it :)

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 12:18 PM

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

SusanLouise, there is a file for 'Hope' but I do admit it is not that easy to find the first time around because of the way it is listed. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/114873/
I ordered mine from Garden Crossing http://www.gardencrossings.com/plant/Echinacea_purpurea_Hope and their ht and spread info would seem to me correct Although it was a new plant the growth and size would not be any where near 12". This is a nice big variety that will be in line with most other coneflowers at 24-30" in ht. at least. I will make an update later this spring on if and how well it returns. I think you will be pleased with your choice of this one.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I have some that come up from seeds that look a lot like these. I guess it's for a good cause though.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

ngam,
Bless your heart for the link! I put it on my fav-list in a folder...
It's strange how some plants are hard to navigate to here in DG. Sometimes I get lucky "googling" a plant too...
Anyhoo, look forward to an update later this year...thanks bunches!
I can't wait for them to be in our gardens...such a pretty pale shade of pink...like cotton candy! :)

Susan

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

No problem. I "Hope" to see and hear how your new addition does this season too. Sorry but I couldn't resist the ". :)

Harvest, AL

I put in Hope plants last summer. They were nowhere near 36 inches. I'd say about 18 at most. Not to big a bloomer (in full sun) but I'm hoping for more this year. The seed head is large and with delicate pink surrounding it. It's quite beautiful. I'm zone 7 - Huntsville, Al.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I love that color! Does the color hold up well in hot sun? I'd love to get some but only if they don't fade.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

NL mine did not fade as you can see in the pic above of a new bloom and an older bloom. They are in full sun most all day but my sun is not as intense as yours I would imagine.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

ngam,
LOL--you're absolutely right--your sun isn't as intense as ours. We pretty much stay in the high nineties to 100 in the summer. It will really fade some flowers bad. I do have a flowerbed on the east side of our house that only gets morning sun though so I may try it there. It's just so pretty.

Harvest, AL

WOW!! Have you guys seen Elton Knight?

Thumbnail by petunia109
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

WOW... Stunning!!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

That EK is really something. Another new one to try. Goodie! An update on my 'Hope' echies, one is leafing out and the other one got knocked out by critter unknown and died. Going to replace with 'Pink poodle'. All my other echies have returned except 'Twilight' and one 'Summer Sky'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.