showing iris and membership questions

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

1st question :is being a member of the ais separate from the region or are you automatically in that group ? i didnt see where you could become a member at the regional level . then there is the local club which i see that you do have to be a member . can someone rundown what is involved with showing iris and all that . the websites wernt that informative except how to pay for the membership. they are more geared to members . are the shows for all iris because the pics i see are tbs only . do you have to be a member of the different iris societies to show things besides bearded

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

I don't know about in your state but here if you are a member of AIS you can join the local club with out paying a member ship fee, and our local club has just a member ship fee for the club. And in our iris show you can show any iris. You might like to try and get on the Mesilla Valley Iris Society's web site they have some infromation there that is interesting on preparing for the show. www.zianet.com/mvis. I hope this will work for you. Susan

Thumbnail by susan505
Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I think you just inform your local club and they bump you in. thats what happened to me in NC. I need to rejoin the AIS. I let my membership lapse. ooooops!

at the ais store front you can get the judges handbook which should be very helpful.

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Owensboro is in Region 7. There is a Region 7 web site that has contact information on it.
http://www.aisregion7.org/

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

I love the pictures on this web site, ya'lls iris make ours look little, but ours has to deal with wind and hot weather. From the looks of the picture of the iris rhyzomes in the one about the sale maybe its a good thing I don't live closer, I would never make my mind up on what to buy. Thank you for sharing this site, Susan

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

iris28

I grow very few tall bearded, most of my entries are MTBs, Species, arilbreds, and a few siberians I have. Most people grow tall bearded exclusivly and have more varieties fo these so that is why there are more TBs than other. I have even taken other Iridaceae such as Tigridia for informational purposes only. These are usually potted.
:)
Anita

South Hamilton, MA

AIS members are automatically members of their region. There are 24 regions. Local clubs (affliates) have their own dues & you may join without being an AIS member. There are classication sections for other than TBs with their own dues. DH & I are members of HIPS (historic) & median sections. He is also a member of SIGNA (species) & I am a member of the dwarf section & Aril Society International. We are both members of the British Iris Society. A great deal to read & think about.

Des Plaines, IL

We are one of two iris clubs in the Chicago area. We hold our shows at the Chicago Botanic Garden. Anyone can bring iris to one of our shows whether or not they are a member of the AIS or our club. I may be mistaken but I believe that is an AIS rule that shows are open to everyone. The important thing is that you know the registered name and that you are the grower.

South Hamilton, MA

Correct

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.