Daily Pics - Vol. 175

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Movin' along to a new thread ..... we just came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945109/

To start this thread, we will have a little quiz. Without looking it up, does anyone know the definition of - "oology" ? I learned something new today !!!

Anyway, I've only been out once in the last two weeks primarily seeking waterfowl subjects. So here are a few photos. I did see a very large flock of Tundra Swans which are always pleasing to the eye. They seem to visit the same field, each winter, each day.

Thumbnail by linthicum

A closer view of a few of them ......

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another .............

Thumbnail by linthicum

Paddling around ........

Thumbnail by linthicum

Time for a little snooze ..... but I got my eye on you ! By the way, there were two adult Bald Eagles sitting in a dead tree just behind this Tundra Swan.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

linthicum, love your shots of the swans. I did see three swans on Blue Lake, about25 miles from here, last fall. Couldn't get close, and there were large trees at edge of the lake. But I did take a couple of pictures, don't know if they were Tundras.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Sorry don't know how that photo got in. Here is the one I hope that i took of the three swans last Nov.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Love the Blue Jay and the Swans are wonderful Linth. Thanks for the compliment.

Things are great in Mount Pleasant Mills.

GG

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Oology - the study of people going 'oo' and 'aa' on seeing bird pics . . . . ;-)

No, not really, it's the study of eggs

Resin

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I agree, the Blue Jay and Swans are beautiful Linth.

Yours too rutholive!

I still can't catch a good clear photo of this darn Bewick's Wren!

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

The dark eyed Juncos love the chopped peanuts I put out every day.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Another one

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

LOl Resin I do those study "OO" "AA" a lot on this forum. Actually done it this afternoon with the Tundra Swan.

Thanks Linth for the compliment and the new thread.

The Bohemian Waxwings don't come everyday, but this one came 2 days ago.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

These Evening Grosbeaks, come almost everyday, now.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

OMG, I'm so excited. Look who finally showed up today!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

and…

*happy dance*

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

But you do have some good shots of the Junco, Duc real nice. And the wren is only blurred a little, not much. Do you have Picassa 3,It's a free download, you can probably sharpen that pic with it and it come out pretty nice. I do that with mine sometime and I can save some good shots.
Rutholive, Those little quails seem to enjoy your yard, nice to see them and the Swans.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Congratulation Marna, I'm doing the happy dance with you.

Ah, now that the dance is done, I meant to say how wonderful all the pix on this new thread are. I love seeing the birds I don't get here.

One more…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Check out the cute feet on this american goldfinch

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Our resident hawk yesterday. He rarely flies near the bird feeders as we have them hung under a big crab apple canopy, plus there are a zillion juicy rabbits in the area.

burn_2007, very envious of your evening grosbeak. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Okay, the last Common Redpoll for the day, I promise.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Don't stop Mrs. Ed, I really love the Redpolls and have never seen one before. Cute finches too!!

Bbrookrd, Great shot of the hawk.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Love the pics today, especially the goldfinch, Mrs. Ed. What wonderful shapes those little bodies make. I miss my birds and hope that the squirrels are removed soon so I can hang my feeders again.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice start Linth!! I would have been close on oology...I was thinking it meant the just the study of.

Congrats Mrs. Ed...I keep hoping! Though my finch feeder is hung out on the platform, so I could miss them easy. I took the upside downfeeder down. All it did was aggravate me and make a mess!

South Hamilton, MA

I like Resin's first definition the best. Instead of ooing I have to call John to make IDs when I see interesting birds.

Well Nanny, I'm sure any thistle feeder would work. I'm going to have to go look for a new one though! I promised that if they came I'd get them a feeder like Burn's. Course, the house finches will probably take over!

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

I had to look up ducbucln's juncos because they look so different from mine. Turns out there are a whole bunch of varieties. I figured there may be a couple, but not this many. Anyway, it looks like ducbucln's are the "Oregon form." I only get the "slate-colored form."
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Dark-eyed_Junco.html

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

Oh, and I have a completely vague question!

I heard a bird this morning and I can't figure out what it is. I tried looking up the sounds to all the birds I know are around, but none matched. I'm hoping someone understands my pathetic description!

It has four parts and each part has 2 "syllables". The first syllable is lower than the second but not by much. And the first two parts are higher pitched than the last two parts. There's no pause or anything in between the parts.

Makes total sense, doesn't it??? lol I honestly don't expect anyone to know, but I thought I'd ask just in case someone had an idea. I can then go check out that bird and related birds to see if I recognize anything. I live next to woods if that helps?

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Some of this mornings pics.
Downy Woodpecker

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pine siskin on the finch feeder

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

The last

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Love that woodpecker on the suet feeder Grandmaggie and your Pine Siskins are so cute too.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love all the shots today all

Marlton, NJ

Wow so many great ones today!

Linth I love the Tundra Swans! Thanks for starting the new thread.

Donna, Nice pics of all the quail and the swans!

duc, Beautiful pics of the Junco (Oregon variety).

burn, Lovely Grosbeak!

Mrs Ed, Woohoo!!! Congrats; great pics!

Patti, That's a lovely scenic shot of the Hawk.

GM, Nice pics! be sure to give us updates on the suet feeder.

Plymouth, IN(Zone 5a)

bbrookrd, great shot of the hawk. Love the way it looks against the backdrop.

Mrs_Ed, congrats! Great shots. Now if you could just give those little fellows a nudge in my direction. ;)

Melanie

Melbourne, FL

Super shots everyone. I especially love your shots burn...of the Waxwing(love the snow flurries)...and the Evening Grosbeak.

you know Melanie, this sighting is a month later than last year, so keep the hope.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

The one still up out on the platform is like Grandmaggie's there. It is just so far out in the yard I probably wouldn't be able to see them. I may fill the sock up after this snow we are to get over the next couple of days. The hook for that is a bit closer to the backdoor!

Oh yah, the socks. I forgot all about those. I think I'll put one of those up. I just got out another upside down feeder that I had washed, but I can't find the screws from it (I had to take it apart!). DUH.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.