zuchini bugs

Austin, TX

I am going to plant some Zuchini this spring but am concerned because in the past I have had problems with bugs
killing them off.
They always start great, but as the plant matures the squash deminishes.

How do I keep these things from doing this to my plants?

Thank you,
Anita

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Anita,

Are they squash bugs? http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=squash+bug&searcher[bugorder]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&Search=Search

If so, you just have to check every day for them and squish them when you find them. They don't like water. If you spray the leaves the bugs will come swarming up to the top of the plant which makes them easier to find and catch.

The eggs are like a patch of little golden dots, usually on the back of a leaf. I remove that portion of the leaf and put it in the trash.

Karen

Kenwood, CA

Squash bugs are said to be deterred by planting radishes, nasturiums, and marigolds nearby. This seems to work for me because I rarely have squash bugs. BUT, I also keep the garden clean of debris, especially moist hidden areas where squash bugs like to set up house, and I don't plant squash in the same bed two years in a row.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

FYI - http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2153.html

This is the only problem I have ever had with squash.

Jerry

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

I can't seem to tell the difference between squash bugs (bad) and soldier bugs (beneficial). They just look very much alike to me. Is there some distinguishing feature I should look for? Anyone?

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Here's a pretty good photos of squash bugs:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/showimage/7282/

Here's some soldier bug photos:
http://images.google.com/images?q=SOLDIER+BUG+PHOTO&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

It looks to me as if the soldier bug has a more pointy-rear end than the squash bug does. The eggs are very different, too.

I mostly see them when they are gray or silver-colored, which is the stage before they are full adults, or I find the eggs on the leaves.

Karen

Austin, TX

Thank you again everyone,

I agree those squash bugs look a lot like soldier bugs...
I hope I can tell the difference when the time comes.

Anita

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Squash bugs stink when you smash them. I don't know if soilder bugs do but squash bugs really smell.
Lisa

Clarkson, KY

They (my squash-killing squash bugs anyway) are whitish silver in color on the back. No pattern to speak of. And I always find those little golden-copper colored dots under an inconspicuous leaf or two. My nemesis.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Well, I hate to kill the soldier bugs since they are good for taking care alot of the rifraf that shows up in my garden (cucumber beetles, japanese beetles, potato beetles). I spend so much time just picking these guys off that soldier bugs are very welcome in my garden. I may just have to kill them all though because I think I accidentally left some squash bugs alone last season, thinking they were soldier bugs, and then I began to see the copper colored eggs (which I did try to pick off), and then my vines just went South. Can't take any more chances with those squash bugs - they are so destructive!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Is this the same thing that gets into the stems of squash?

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

I think those are squash borers and I beleive they are just another lovely force of destruction, separate from the squash bugs.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

They destroyed the zucchini and the crookneck last summer. I was so disappointed. Anyone have a suggestion for deterring them in the beginning?

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Check out my earlier post on the 26th.

Jerry

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jerry. I read that this afternoon but the only real preventative measure that I hadn't done was to plant some hubbard squash as a distraction. I just hate to use chemicals. Maybe using some stockings on the stems is something I will try this year, though. If they only lay eggs on the stems, that might just work. Thanks for the link! :)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Jerry. Sevin Dust sounds like the best bet for me. I am trying really hard to be organic but there are certain areas where it just doesn't work.

Christi

I also LIKE to go organic but my first concern is saving my plants. You don't have to put the sevin dust on the fruit just the plant.
Good Luck
Lisa

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I was thinking I could be really careful and not just dust everywhere.

It does wash off. I use horse poop in my garden and that can be really dangerous too, if it isn't washed off. If your plantas die what's the point anyway.
Lisa

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Well I have a butterfly garden closely situated and we have alot of native bees that really enjoyed the squash flowers last year. Before the squash bugs hit the vine I had already frozen, eaten, and given away more squash than I could use, so I got my use out of them. But I think the anhilation of bees is a serious problem and if people don't stop using so many pesticides, we probably won't need to bother with planting veggies and flowers, etc. because they won't get pollinated nearly as often. So in the interest of the butterflies and bees that I try to protect I'm just not willing to resort to pesticides if I can find an alternative means to control the pests.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I simply have to use Sevin or I'd never get a squash. I also have borers going after the squash and if I cut part of it off thinking I'll use the good part, they'll have eaten out a large area and often have to throw it all away. I don't like to use any chemical because I hate the idea of harming any honey bees or bumbles.

Sevin is about as low impact as can be used and it says on the label you can pick the same day you dust. I think the sun destroys it real fast and I put it on about every three days.

One way around harming the bees is to do hand pollination and keep the open blooms cut off. It probably takes a lot more vigilance for the proper timing but I'm planning to experiment.

If the pests kill off the squash plants there aren't any blossoms for the bees to pollinate anyway. You don't have to put the SEVIN dust on the blossoms, just the plants. Please remember there are many ALL natural products and substances that are very poisonous being all natural doesn't make it safe. Arsenic is one good example as well as horse poop.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have bees, bees and more bees. I plant perinnials for bees, birds and butterflies. In fact, last year, farmerdill said part of my problem with the early squash was that the bees had too many choices and were ignoring the squash blossom. Sure glad I don't have to depend on my expertise to feed us or sell to others. Think we might just starve. You can be assured that I am not free and easy with any of the chemicals. I'm just as concerned about our health and the health of our planet as any one else. There are times when the best of science must be carefully weighed against starvation and without it, the world could not survive. Principals are very well and good but must be balanced.

Christi

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Whoa, didn't mean to put everyone on the defensive about their pesticide use. By all means, if you can't get squash without using pesticides then use them. I am certainly for balance and recognize that we all have to eat. I may not have as big a problem with garden pests as others and am able to grow what I need without using them except in desperate times, and yes I have used pesticides in the past. :) So if I can use something natural or synthetic AND nontoxic, like a distractor plant or nylons on the stems, I will. I have a MS in cellular/molecular biology and started out in plant science, so I am quite aware that 'natural' products are not necessarily nontoxic or unsafe. But thank you for the reminder. I'm not going to begrudge anyone for using pesticides responsibly. I will too if I have to. But I think my statement was misinterpreted. I said "...I'm just not willing to resort to pesticides if I can find an alternative means to control the pests". That is not an absolute refusal to use pesticides (or deny anyone else's use). That means IF I can find an alternative means.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm truly sorry that my response came across the way it did. Have just re-read it and it is sort of snippy sounding. Part of the problem with words on paper with no voice inflection. I took no offense and certainly didn't intend any. Shall be more careful and check my words before hitting send. Easy to understand your concern and one that I share. Might be that I will try something else before resorting to chemicals. Please accept my apology.

Everything is covered with sleet right now and white as snow. Seems we have had more deep freezes already this winter than in a long time. Maybe Mother Nature is helping out by killing at least a few of the eggs.

Christi

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

No problem Christi; I wasn't offended by your post. I just felt that my post was misinterpretted and wanted to clarify where I stand on pesticide use. I was confused about how the whole natural/toxic (?) piece was related to what I said so I just wanted to clear up any confusion on that as well.

I think I may have inadvertantly stepped on toes with the protecting the bees and butterflies thing. I know I wouldn't appreciate anyone accusing me of not being responsible, and after I reread my post I think that may have been the trigger for anyone feeling defensive. I do apologize if anyone took it that way. Actually, I believe that most of the damage is done by large crop producers trying to protect their crops and minorly by overuse/misuse by small-scale gardeners, the general public. I just know that I have a lot of native bees (live in the country with alot of uncultivated, undeveloped land) and they do alot for me in terms of pollinating my gardens, so I don't want them being harmed by me if I can help it.

Isn't it pretty outside? Even though we got ice and not fluffy snow, its refreshing to see the landscape in white after yellow/brown for so long. :) I have my husband and 4 children home all day (mixed blessing :). Stacey

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I believe we are all "on the same page" as the youngsters say. Just sometimes difficult to get it all together.

DH is being extra cautious today. Our front yard is still in the shade so not melting the ice. He keeps checking and hasn't gotten the newspaper yet as we don't need any kind of broken bone. Paper is so thin, not much to read anyway.

Haven't told him yet but since we are trapped inside, might as well move some furniture. hahah He will be sooo glad to hear that.

Christi

I'm really glad to see these last few posts I have to admit that a real pet peeve of mine is equating all natural with nontoxic, or all natural with biodegradable. One reason that I like Sevin dust is because it isn't a spray it only goes right where I want it to go. May be the bugs won't be so bad this year because of all this cold weather.
Lisa

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Lisa, you are right about the all natural and toxicity. Lots of the organic chemicals (like neem, spinosad, rotenone) are extremely toxic to bees.
Anita, I wonder if beneficial nematodes would work on your squash bugs? If they spend any part of their life underground, the nematodes should work. I've been very pleased with the results in my garden. Here is a link I found that has info. I buy mine from the local garden store. http://www.wormman.com/pd_nematodes.cfm

Austin, TX

An additional note about the squash bugs,

I was talking to a friend who is a Master Gardener and she said that the Natural Gardener ( here in Austin) has a fabric screen that allows the sun through, but when put on the squash plants it keeps the bugs away.
I haven't looked into it but will see and give you a name when I get a chance.
Also from what I have heard when it comes to Sevin to keep any bugs away , as someone else has said, keep it on the plants and about 2wks prior to harvesting stop using it. It will reduce your exposure to the pesticide.
Just what I heard, no expert here...
Have a super day today,
Anita

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

soive, the fabric screen that you're talking about is called a row cover, and many people consider it the first line of defense for many pest problems. Just make sure that when the plants start flowering, you adjust the fabric in the morning so that the bees can get in there to do their work. Otherwise, no squash.

I'm reading a book called The Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Organic Food, by Tanya L.K. Denckla (Story Publishing.) It's 480 pages packed full of useful information, and it's really easy to navigate. I recommend it to anyone who grows vegetables.

Anyway, I'll give you just a couple of suggestions (paraphrased) that the book has for dealing with squash bugs (not to be confused with squash vine borers):

Row covers.
Handpicking. (Drown them in a bucket of soapy water. Squish a couple of them to send out the chemical that alert other squash bugs to stay away from the danger.)
Attract birds. Praying mantises are also natural predators.
Lure them by leaving a few squash or boards on the ground, and come back and kill them.

I hope that helps! Happy gardening.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have no qualms about taking out the squash bugs, it is the borer that gives me grief.

Christi

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

see link for some possible squash bug solutions. I will inject BT and use row cover this season, and will squaash any I get my hands on. they are devastating and will wipe out everything. by the time you realize they are around it may be too late.

http://yardener.com/YardenersPlantProblemSolver/DealingWithPestInsects/PestInsectsInTheVegetableGarden/SquashVineBorer/SolutionsforSquashVineBorer

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Have you tried row covers, Christi? It's a moth that lays the squash borer eggs on the leaves, so row covers should be pretty effective. This book also recommends stem collars and some other creative ways to keep the squash vine borer out.

There's also a thread around here somewhere that explains how to surgically remove the borers. This book also recommends injecting beneficial nematodes or Bt directly into the vines. All of that seems pretty tedious, though.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, fiddle. Printed the instructions and will put them with my squash seeds.

Christi

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

indy, we cross-posted. Thank you very much for your input. When it comes time to plant, will be re-checking all of the suggestions. Definitely going to start with the row cover. Much better to prevent than to try to cure.

Christi

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I've heard that placing aluminum foil around the base of squash plants sometimes works - the reflectiveness supposedly "confuses" the moth form of vine borers and they go elsewhere to lay eggs.

I've not tried this myself but if someone has, please share. Would love to know if this works. I didn't have a decent squash plant last year because of the borers and it was really frustrating!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The link that "fiddle" posted addresses this.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah, thanks Lou...so it does! I'm ready to try anything at this point. The SVB is my main garden nemesis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.