Happy Chinese New Year

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year to those that celebrate.
Its also Australia day in Aussie, where everyone dons the thongs and singlet and has a Bbq at the beach while drinking copious ammounts of beer! *Burp*
Having a great time, wish you were here.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Sue - what a coincidence!!!! I was writing my new year's greeting the the flowerpot cafe 18 while you were setting up a new thread. Maybe I'll bring the laysees over to here too. LoL

Happy new year to you. And What a lovely arrangement - with the fan, chopstick, and cup.

My heating system just went out, so drinking beer, and having a romp on the beach with the sun overhead sounds wonderful

london England, United Kingdom

G'day Sue, Happy Australia day! A party on the beach sounds great!
Lovely arrangement with the red Hibiscus, very inviting with the chopsticks. Thanks for the thread, I'm looking forward to this banquet!

Happy New Year to you Dianne and Karma! Have a great year, wishing you all good things!
Will you be celebrating at a festival?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sue, be sure to party hardy and I know you will. Happy New Year to everyone hoping that every day is twice as good as the one before. Enjoy your beach party, I'll be thinkin bout it tomorrow when I am shoveling a foot of snow!

Louisville, KY

Sue!!!! Great Woman of the Weed. Good to see ya. Happy Australia day. And Happy Chinese New Year to everyone. Thanks for the thread and the arrangement. It's beautiful. How are you? Busy tending to green things I'm sure.
Hope you have a wonderful day at the beach. 'Burp'
I'll be thinking about that too Candee. We are in for snow, ice and all sorts of nasty coldness for a few days. While you'll be shoveling snow, I'll be picking ice. Hey, we have the start of a country song. "Sheesa shovelin' and Imma pickin'. hehehe

Terri, to help you feel better, here is a whole batch a hazlenut truffles all for you. And for the rest of y'all, I made a big horkin' ten pound batch of the little goodies. Sue you better dig in fast cause they will melt in no time at the beach.

Dianne, sorry to hear about your heater going out. Hope you can get it fixed soon. In the meantine, here's bourbon balls to the rescue. Yeee hahh!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Can I trade somethin for the bourbon balls, they are favorites here!

Louisville, KY

You betcha Candee. I have more than enough balls- bourbon that is.

Hi everyone!
Thanks for the truffles Plantgeek, yummy.
I've made some Spring Rolls!

Thumbnail by terriculture

There's plenty to go round, tuck in!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Oh Tez, there you go again being clever! Spring rolls, what a great idea.
Hi Candee, Dianne and PG. All has been well here, just so very busy and short of time. When it starts to warm up over your way, it'll be getting cold here and I'll be the one wondering where everyone has gone!
Bourbon balls, yummmm! forget the hazlenut truffles when there is liquer involved! He, he
Sue

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Another ingenious creation, Terri. I would have never thought of it. What is that twiggy springroll with the pinkish blooms?

New years is celebrated for at least 15 days, up to a month - so it is one big eating fest. There are a few celebrations around our town, but nothing like in San Francisco. I went to see the parade there last year, but it was cold and rainy. I'll have to do it again when the weather is better. One bright note was that we stayed in a Japanese hotel with a soaking tub, so it was great to be steamed after being frozen. LoL.

I don't have any offerings at the moment, but here is some good luck money for all of you.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hey Dianne you read my mind, we can sure use the money here. Haven't mentioned it but Steve will join the ranks of unemployed this Friday as his job was abolished conveniently just 2 years shy of retirement.
Terri, now got that off my chest, lets move forward. You are truly the hostess with the mostest! How do you find the time?
Sue had forgotten you would be trying to keep your toes warm when we are basking. We are in a reall storm here today. I didn't attempt to cross those 2 mountains to work and will likely not be able to tomorrow as well. So will hunker down here and do some cleaning.

Louisville, KY

Candee, so sorry to hear was treated in such an under-handed way. Such is the world of business (it's why I'm self-employed). I hope you both find some kind of ease through it.
Things are a bit tough this way too, work is slow and spotty. But if it comes down to it, there are plenty of squirrels around, ones we have fattened for the past few years. LOL
Just joking Terri.

Dianne, thank you for the $ offerings. That is very kind.

And my, what yummy spring rolls (and yes, clever, like Sue said). One of my favorite dishes next to dumplings.

Sue my dear, here is a box of extra punchy bourbon balls just for you. See you at the beach. Burrrrrrp

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks geek, you may not be aware of this but I make one heck of a squirrel potpie. You would never know it is squirrel! Am a bit sorry that Steve didn't get a deer this year, would sure like to have 1 or 2 in the freezer right about now. Isn't that the way it always goes, he has never gone one single year w/o a deer until this season?
I am gonna have one of those balls before Sue gets back in here by the way!

Hi everyone!
Thank you all, glad you like the spring rolls. The twiggy springroll is Broom, a bit past it's best almost dried infact, but I thought it still looked nice in yellow and pank!. The leaves were stapeled together sitting in a tray of water, then the flowers were added, no oasis used. I made them last week!
Sue, we know it's a really busy time for you mate, no worries! It must be exhausting working in other peoples gardens and your own, in that heat. We haven't seen Brom Palace for a long time, it must be filling up nicely?
Dianne, Thank you for the good luck money, how very generous! Does it say 'Happy New year' in the chinese writing? I was going to attempt to make a banner in chinese writing, but it looks very difficult!!
especially for flowers. Do you have a chinese teapot? or rice wine?
Plantgeek, it's ok!! those pesky squirrels get on my nerves stealing my bulbs!! If you all want to eat meat that's your business . All I ask for is an alternative!! Enjoy the beach, wear a hat!
Candee, moving forward....... good to hear you are!
I'm glad you didn't attempt to go to work in those conditions, please stay warm and safe.
I think your frosted flowers would be lovely in here!!

My offering for today is ... 'Birds nest soup' enjoy!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi All - Gung hay fat choy! Not sure exactly what the envelopes say (I only know how to write my name and recognize the characters 1-10 in Chinese), but I am sure somewhere in there is the characters for Happy New Year.

Candee - so sorry to hear the news about Steve. I am especially hopeful that this year of the OX will bring good luck to you both.

Here's a pot of chrysanthemum tea making a reappearance for this auspicious occasion - ringing in the new year with good friends.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Hi Dianne, Thanks for the Chrysanthemum tea, very refreshing!

Katie made a flower cake for us to have with our tea at the cafe'!

Humansville, MO

hey
here is eggs for the chinese new year
it snowing like dog and cat
we are ready for the night
dave and i got every thing done for the day
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Louisville, KY

Oh, my achin' belly. It's so full of all the goodies y'all brought. I'm gonna have to roll out of here, but with all this snow, I'll roll myself right into a snowball. Just shove in sticks for my arms, coal for eyes, a big carrot for my nose. And a feeding tube for more of Candee's squirrel potpie, Terri's bird's nest soup, Dianne's Chysanthemum tea, Elle's eggs...
Hey, where's Zany and Blossom?

I made more pound cake- orange with white chocolate icing. Ooops, there went another button. See ya outside.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Elle - thanks for the farm fresh eggs . Boy, what a difference in size between the two. Are they from different kinds of chickens, or is that just within the normal range of chicken eggs? You can tell that I am restricted to getting my eggs from the store - graded small, medium, large, and x-large.

Terri - tell Katie the flower cake was very tasty. Thanks a bunch!!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

oh - and Plantgeek - we must have just passed each other - didn't recognize you with your carrot nose LoL.
Thanks for the pound cake . I always wear elastic this time of the year - the more stretch the better.

Louisville, KY

Oh yes, where's my brain? The flower cake was so good, I couldn't eat any thing else for dessert. All that rolling in snow froze up my thinker.

Louisville, KY

Hehehe. Yes, we did pass each other. Hey, with this disguise, I can make extra trips to the table and no one will know. The elastic band is a good idea too.

Wanna borrow my mask? great disguise!

Hi there elle, glad you joined the New Year celebrations! Eggsactly what I need for the egg fried rice, Thank you!
Good you got all your work done, animals fed and watered, time to play!
Plantgeek, Katie would like a slice of your orange cake with white chocolate icing please! and she's VERY happy you both like the cake! Thanks Dianne.

Humansville, MO

i love the cake too
i getting so many egg i got to find
way to cook and bake with them
it just the two of us
elle

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

OMG so many sweet folks with such sweet treats. I could have gone to work after nibblig in here there would be plenty of weight in the drivers seat for good traction after these desserts.
I got up this morning to some real icy quince.
Hey elle, you stay warm now in all that snow - those must be some prize chickens you have layin over at your place. Guiness size eggs.
Terri that soup is divine and Dianne that tea is a ray of sunshine in tis gloomy weather.

Thumbnail by haighr
Louisville, KY

Hey y'all, wev'e had a major ice storm and now, blizzard like conditions with a few inches of snow, gusty winds. We may lose power so if you don't hear from me for awhile, you'll know why.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hope you keep the power there, if not wear a lot of layers to keep warm, sure you already know to do that. We have major ice, and are iced in but so far got the power.

Louisville, KY

Katie is always welcome to anything she wants. In fact, I made a chocolate marble pound cake with raspberry icing and she can have the first slice.

Candee, I think that if one gets fat, one should get fat well. ;)

Elle, maybe it's time for some quiche.

Louisville, KY

Yeah, it's bad all over. Kentucky has been declared a state of emergency along with several other states. The power started flicking last night with the ice and now the added weight of snow, wind is very dangerous. We aren't so worried about ourselves as much as for the snakes and. If we had to go to a shelter, I would have to sneak them in under my shirt. The cats are not so much a problem, but folks just don't like snakes on the whole.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Knock Knock!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm late as usual but luckily for me the rest of you have kept things moving. The florals are great and the birds nest soup looks delightful.

Candee... BRRR! I can't even imagine what your heating bill must be during the winter!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Blossombuddy - glad you found us.

Zany - better late than never LoL.

Happy Chinese New year to the two of you.

My heating system is still out, but the house is able to maintain a little of the heat it gets during the day. It was between 50-55 degrees inside this morning. But, I will sound like a wimp if I complain about that while all of you - Plantgeek, Candee, Blossombuddy, Elle, and others - who are dealing with sub-freezing temps and snow and ice. Hope this storm is over for you soon. Maybe it is time to go on a short trip to Sue's place to thaw out.

Terri - how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Humansville, MO

hi all
we here on the fram is doing good
egg still coming
rabbit is do ok
goat is do ok
elle

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL Dianne 55 degrees. I turn our heat down every evening to conserve and when we get up in the morn it is 55 degrees in the house! We still have power and no melting going on yet, hope to get to work tomorrow, shoveled a lotta ice today.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, we made it, late as usual but we just had a lousy couple days. Hubby woke up not feeling good so on Tuesday we trotted off to the doctor...ended up going for test, cat scan and all thinking he might have had a real serious blockage...finally after 12 scary hours we got home. Thankfully no hospital stay, thankfully no serious blockage, our grave concern turned out to be a little constipation... but with him, since he had some serious surgeries in the past, a little constipation can be a really big bad thing. Hoping he gets back to work tomorrow.

It's cold here, got 2-4 inches new snow and just trying to relax and catch up on some correspondence while he takes a nap. I am soooo behind so ya'll are gonna have to grin and bare me! Especially my swappers!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I just realized that this is the first time in over 30 years that I didn't see any firecrackers set off in doorways for the New Year. This neighborhood needs more diversity!!! I miss the blending of cultures that I always took for granted. Here we have 85 percent eruo/white, 12 percent Mexican/American/American Indian and 3 percent African/American. I know there are Asian/Americans in the surrounding towns but as far as I can see there are none here. Hmmm, if the job market here were better I would have to start recruiting people to mix things up for a better blend! We need Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Indian and... and...

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear the health issues are resolving blossom, Zany, what are you talkin bout??? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.