sloped floor?

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello,

Our yard has a concrete pad that was used for a dog kennel by the previous owners. The floor is flat, but it has a small slope for drainage. Can a greenhouse kit be built on this pad since it slopes lightly? I have no carpenter skills to put down a level base/frame.

Thanks! Cathy

Fulton, MO

You can do that. No problem. Your GH will need to be level and square, but with the use of a base around the edge, you can level your GH on the slope. You would vary the height according to the slope.

You can use the opportunity to install a kneewall and give yourself an additional 1.5-2' of height by just placing a standard GH on the same base you use for leveling, just 1.5-2' higher.

Maybe some holes at the bottom of the base for drainage.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I can see some definite advantages to having a pad right now... is it square or rectangular?

It is covered with snow right now, but I'm guessing 8x12, with a small 3x3 corner that sticks out for an entry where the gate opened. There is an old beat-up shed on it now that is heading to the metal recycling place as soon as the weather warms up some.

Sounds great -have fun looking at kits. Or have you already figured out which one?

I'm totally confused about the kits, the reviews are everything from wonderful to awful on the same model. If they have to be perfectly level, I can't put it on the slab, and I really don't have any skill to build a base. If I had the $, I'd buy one bigger than the slab and dig around the edges to get the GH level. I may have to put this off for another year of saving.

Thanks for the input.

I've heard of people getting some pretty nice deals second hand - you might want to keep an eye on e-bay. Good luck!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

How much of a slope is there? I have a sloping yard and there is no way that we could make the back yard level. 'We built my green/shade house out of PVC pipe. The back is shorter than the front.
It is 8x16 feet. If you have a hack saw and a drill and a tape measure you can build your own. We used screws instead of glue so we can change the size and shape later. We put a roof of the fiberglass sheets and in winter the rest is covered in plastic and in summer shade cloth.

Thanks wren, I had just about come to that conclusion, that I will have to build it to fit the slab that is already there. I'm going to start watching for windows (we can't do plastic in our subdivision.) It will probably be an all summer project, my son should be home for a week sometime this summer, maybe he can frame it up for me. Thanks for the answer! Cathy

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is a good web site for suppies I have ordered the pvc joints and shade cloth from here
they give good and fast service
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Build-a-Greenhouse/products/1162/

Thanks!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Mega Greenhouse Store is a good vendor. I've used them too. Reliable and fast delivery.

That is good to know, thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.