Growing Shell Peas New York

Yorktown Heights, NY(Zone 6b)

Perhaps someone with experience in my area can give me advice about growing peas in my Upper Westchester garden. It seems to be a Catch 22 problem in that peas like to grow in cool weather but seeds wont germinate until it gets warmer. Once they do start growing the weather is too warm which makes for a poor crop.
Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a variety that is more suitable for my zone?
Should I give up on peas and stick to other veges that do well for me?

Ken

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Peas are usually sown in early spring when the soil is workable. It's too early yet!

DO plant them when early spring comes!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Some peas do have shorter times to maturity. You might try those varieties.

Another thing to try is to cover the newly-planted peas with a row cover of some kind, to raise the temperature of the soil.

Greensburg, PA

You could also pre-sprout the peas in the house before planting out. Soak in a small amount of water overnight, then drain. Rinse daily, twice a day, just like starting sprouts for eating. When you see the tip of the root break through the seed coat, then you can plant out. Time so that the ground is not frozen when you will plant out and make sure that the ground is damp, not dry at the time of planting. You may want to do a few at a time and stagger plant this way. Also, make sure they are covered, as the birds will go for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.