How to propagate cross vine with cuttings?

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

My neighbor has a beautiful stand of cross vine, and I would like to start some of my own with cuttings. Should they be green cuttings or wood? Can I do them now, or should I wait till spring or summer? Thanks for any instruction anyone can give me.
--Pen

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Remove the bottom set of leaves, dip in water, then in rooting hormone and stick them in good potting soil - takes 4-8 weeks to root. Mist them once a day and make sure the soil doesn't dry out, but isn't soggy, either.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Should these be green cuttings or woody? Can I start them now? Should I keep them indoors or outdoors before they root? Thanks, Kay.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I would try both green and 2-yr. wood.

If you can keep the water warm (heat of some type), you can start them now - otherwise, I'd wait until the days and nights are consistently warm.

I would put them on the north side of the house to root and keep an eye on them so they don't dry out.

Have you tried soil-layering the vine?

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Guess I better not try soil layering since the mama plant is in my neighbor's front flower bed, but I will definitely try the cuttings. Thanks for your help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.