sun and collards

Savannah, GA

This is the first time I planted a garden here and I know it gets sun in the summer. I thought it got some in the winter but today I was at home all day and it seems that part of my yard gets very little direct sun. :( There is sky above and then some but since it's winter the angle of the sun is low all day, and all day it shines through trees.

I planted onions (savannah sweets) and collards and am wondering now what they are going to do. We had some cold snaps which they don't seem to mind at all, and they look kind of perky. I can't tell if they have grown, it doesn't look like it.

Luckily I only planted half my area so I won't be out much. I'm kind of bummed though. The reason I waited so long is because I didn't think my yard go enough sun but the neighbors yard is shadier than mine and they had some really good tomatoes, and a few other things so I gave it the old college try.

Any suggestions or information?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Collards need to be transplanted in late August until about the middle of September. Due the low angle of the sun they don't grow much (very slowly) after Thanksgiving and they bolt ( go to seed) in mid to late February. The onions should fine for harvest in April. Both are heavy feeders so they need rich soil. Shade should not be a major problem for winter grown vegetables unless your trees are evergreens.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

FarmerDill, I bought Collard seeds planning on growing them this summer in 8a, just like we grow turnip greens. Is this a bad time to plant them then?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Up to you. They are basicly a nonheading cabbage, so they grow under the same conditions. I only grow them in fall, for use from Thansgiving to Febrary. Cold weather really improves the taste. But if you like the taste of spring collards , they will do ok. I have more than enough of other spring greens that I don't even consider eating them at that time. I do love the pointy headed spring cabbages tho.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Wil ya tell us abotu them pointy cabbages ? They liek a regular cabbage? Do ya cook the same way?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cook yes, they are not as good for slaw and other raw uses as the ball head types. They are early and still popular in Europe as spring cabbages. Use to be popular in the US ( Jersey Wakefield, Lightning Express,Etampes.) This is the hybrid Point One. The heads are not as tight, white, and tender as the Copenhagen types. English cultivars are also available from several vendors in the US. ( Pixie, Greyhound, Spitfire, Hispi) Best as a boiling or frying green.

Savannah, GA

I got the collard and onion plants at a local store so I gathered it was ok to plant them now. The collard plants are pretty big.

I am hoping that in a couple weeks the sun will be higher and they will get more of it. This is my first year so it's a learning experiance. If they start to bolt I guess I will pull and eat them.

Thanks for the replys!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.