Pee Gee Hydrangea tree shape it up?

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

I have had a pee gee hydrangea tree for only one season. It bloomed well, but got heavy and drooped. Now I can see that one side is longer than the other. Bothers the heck out of DH, who likes everything to "even up." He thinks I should trim it, but I'm afraid I will cut of next years blooms.

Thanks for your advise,
Judy
zone 6

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

PeeGees bloom on new wood so he can prune it if he wants.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

As Ecrane stated, H. paniculata (PeeGee types) hydrangeas can be pruned at almost any time so your DH and Detective Adrian Monk should be able to even both sides of your plant safely. But, Brrrr, is it not cold out there now to be doing this now? I love seeing these hydrangeas when I travel to the Northeast to see relatives. Since they bloom on new wood, it is as if they want to bloom every year regardless how they were pruned. The only time when you should consider n-o-t pruning PeeGees is in the summer and specifically, only when they are just about to bloom (the reason is a practical one… you do not want to loose those blooms just as they are about to open, right?).

Otherwise, H. paniculatas can be safely pruned in the fall, winter or spring. But make sure that DH understands that it is not necessary to prune them every year like clockwork, only when you want to get rid of crossing branches or, as in this case, when the branches are not aesthetically pleasing (say, one side is longer than another? Hee hee hee!). Reminds me of Crape Myrtles over here. Some people hack them back every fall or winter thinking that it will improve flower production (it does not).

Note also that Paniculata hydrangeas are the only hydrangeas that can be pruned into a tree-form. So, if you are attempting to grow yours as a tree, the developing trunk and main top branches should n-o-t be pruned/removed close to the ground. If a tree-form paniculata is cut or broken off close to the ground, it will grow back as a shrub and you will have to start the training and pruning in tree-form all over again.

Good luck, Judy!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Excellent info as always from Luis.

I just wanted to add if the drooping is a concern, you migh want to tie the plants branches up where you want them for a year until they can form hardwood, and keep themselves erect. If you cut it back each year (which won't hurt it), it will keep on having those drooping branches, where it grows the long soft stems.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

We have a pee gee that had grown into a tree. I'm estimating it to about more than 30 years old (inherited it from the house previous owner). Every early spring I have to use a tall ladder to trim/cut unwanted branches or dead branches or train/tie-up new soft branches.

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks to this great info, my tree and DH are happy- and me, too!!
judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.