applying fresh manure to garden ground

La Feria, TX(Zone 9b)

Hi, this is my first post in the forum and I am pleased that there is a place I can ask questions. I live in south Texas at the very tip close to Brownsville, the zone is 9 and close to 10. I believe I am soon to be the owner of about 60 yards of fresh manure; cow, rabbit, chicken, goat, sheep,and horse. This will be all mixed together and I plan to spread about half of it on a half acre which will be my garden and compost the rest. I plan to cover this with 6 inches of cut hay and then disc it in and then till and plant cover crops until September.
My question is will 6 months be long enough to plant edible crops on this ground? In zone 9 the fall is the best time to plant gardens.
Will the manure have been aged in the ground long enough to be safe to eat the vegetables grown on it?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Wow...seems perfect but then there may be other circumstances. (should reall smell awful!!!). I would take samples of the soil before I planted to add any amendments needed ... calcium? magnesium?

Keaau, HI

Definitely add calcium carbonate and dolomite to increase the respiration rate of the soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.