New, Free Book of Old-time Kitchen Garden Hints

Rockville Centre, NY

Back in the 1980s I put together a little book of old-time hints on vegetable gardening. It was published, got some nice reviews in the press, and sold fairly well. After a few years the publisher let it run out of print to concentrate on newer and better books. I always thought that I'd try to get it published again, but the years went by and other projects got in the way.

For the original book, I spent a bunch of time reading old farm journals and garden guides. I picked the articles that seemed the wisest. The advice is really just as valuable now as it was in the 80s, and maybe more so. With today's economy, and all of the horrible things that they do with produce before it gets into grocery bins, I'd think that a lot more people would interested in home grown vegetables today.

But, trying to get a book published, even a pretty good one, is just asking for a bunch of rejection letters. I really hate those. So, I decided to try something different. I posted the book online, just this morning. It's free to everyone, in the hope that it's of some help to somebody. I plan to make some pennies from sponsors' ads on the website, but we'll see.

I know that a lot of people on this forum grow kitchen vegetables, greens and herbs every year. If you're one of them, please download a copy of The Kitchen Garden Guide. You can get it, or read some sample articles at http://www.kitchengardenguide.com

If you do read the book, please let me know what you think. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how I can make the book or the website better.

Thank you!

Don

Thumbnail by djberg
Reno, NV

Cool. I'll check it out when I have a littel longer.

Stevensville, MT(Zone 4b)

is the book for a specific zone? great idea, thanx

Rockville Centre, NY

Wendy...,

It's general advice for US and Canadian growers, from the late 1800s. I think that it predates the idea od garden zones ( But, someone smarter, please correct me. ) It has some some regional info, but nothing specifically for MT.

Don

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Good luck, Don! What a nice idea. My experience with "old-timey" gardening advice is that it is often most useful! I'll for sure check this out.

Kyla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.