hardy fuchsias

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i am looking for hardy fuchsias,does anyone know where i can buy them? there was this nursery that sold fuchsia plants and that is all the sold but i cant find her(i think it was) anywhere,or maybe some of you might have some plants or seeds or cuttings for trade or postage? plmk and thxs for helping.the one im after is called fuchsia magellanica with red flowers only no bi color lol if anyone can help me thxs so much

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Forest Farm (http://www.forestfarm.com/) sells the standard Fuchsia magellanica and I think they also have a few other hardy fuchsias.

My Fuchsia encliandra 'Ocean Mist' has had berries on it for a while now and may still have some. It's a dwarf hardy fuschia (mine's still young but they can get in the 3' range)with white little flowers. It's evergreen here, though it may not be at the cooler end of its range (the info it came with claimed it was hardy to Zone 6). This one doesn't come true to type so I'm not sure what you'd get but I'd be more than happy to collect what's there and send the seeds for a SASE if you wanted to give them a try.

~Amanda

hi
i have fuschia for the hummingbirds..i think it is the one you are looking for as the hummers go for it and not the others.
ill try to root them in the spring for you..they are hardy in my area. i hope they do come up again after this freeze we had.
pam

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

Spookycharles
i would love to try the seeds for sase,plmk if your addy is in the exchange and i can send out monday to you thxs so much for offering and helping

pamsue
thank you so much,what would you want in exchange for them?i might have to get your rooted as well plmk and thxs so much for helping me too!

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

That will be perfect. I'll go out and check to make sure that the fruit are still there and if so I'll send my info over your way.

~Amanda

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

I've been planning to try this fuchsia nursery soon:

http://www.fuchsias.net/mailorder/index.html

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Melissa, there were still fruit on the 'Ocean Mist'. They've been cleaned and are drying - there turned out to be about 115 seeds - so they'll be ready to go as soon as your envelope arrives. And I forgot to mention it in my last post, but yes, I am in the address exchange.

~Amanda

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

amanda
great thxs so much,how much postage would be good to send? not sure how big the seeds are or how heavy plmk and i will get this out to you? plmk and thxs again for helping me

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

You're so very welcome - I just think it's great that some is going to be planting them. The mother plant is an adorable little thing. The seeds are exceptionally small so a standard envelope with one regular stamp will do it just fine.

~Amanda

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

ok great thxs so much will send out monday thxs again

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

pamsue,
I would also be interested in cuttings from your hardy fuschia. Please let me know whether you think you'd be able to spare some, and if so, whether you'd be interested in anything for trade. I have all sorts of perennials. Thanks.
--Pam

hi
just dmail me in the spring
thanks
pam sue

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Diane, I have bought from them by being at their greenhouses and also on line. They do have very nice plants and they also have good shipping/packing. And if you get your order in early they have a great selection.

The fuchsias are expensive, especially with the shipping. But, if that is what you want they certainly have nice plants. And, I should say, that they probably aren't any more expensive than if you bought something else. I am just used to buying them in person and not paying the shipping. But fuchsias are one of my favorite plants and the hummers love them.

You could probably grow them year round where you are, or at least winter them inside for a short time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.