Dianthus & Annual Pinks?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Has anyone had real success with any besides Firewich? I don't know if it's the heat, growing medium or lack of lime, but most peter out after a year or so. Please post if you have any tips or those that do well here, I so miss the spicy clove fragrance. Sweet William have no problem returning, but I sure would like to order Dianthus seed for taller varieties suitable for cutting.
Thanks,
Vi

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

violabird - I have had the same experience - I blamed the sandy soil & heat (very South GA - zone 8b) for killing them, but I don't know for sure - I'm almost afraid to try again - I liked them so much, but I want things that will stick around, or at least return reliably! Samantha

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't understand the question, I think. I always thought Dianthus, Sweet William, etc., were biennial and annual pinks were exactly that...annuals or semi-biennial. Depending on the age of the Sweet William plants, they might go through one or two seasons. Still, to my knowledge, they are not perennial.
Laurel

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm confused too. I believe Firewitch is a perennial Dianthus like Bath's Pink. I've had BP for 10 years, it's a fabulous evergreen Dianthus.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Vi,

I agree with Cedar that Bath's Pink does great here plus it has that spicy clove fragrance. Yum!

About 17 years ago, I bought one of the cheapie 6-packs of Dianthus chinensis and planted them in part sun/part shade and they lived for years and bloomed in all but the hottest and coldest weather. Each plant spread to cover about a 2 foot circle. I don't remember if they died from just getting old, or because I left for college and couldn't care for them. They gave years of great bloom for a minimal investment though.

I've read that Carnations don't like the summer heat here. I've tried them before and they just seem to melt and die.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry for all the confusion. I was referring to the fact that both annual and most perennial pinks do not seem to last the season, whereas Sweet William (biennial) does not have a problem flourishing. Firewitch & Baths do ok but are not tall enough, I want blooms for cutting! Melt & Die is a great description, Danita, I think I've tried almost all the varieities that Bluestone has to offer http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/search.html?mv_session_id=G6Lk77fd&co=yes&ma=yes&mc=1&tf=name&to=f&rf=*&sp=results_pics&st=db&fi=products&mv_value=nametype%3Dscientific&ml=45&mv_value=srchtype%3Dkey&from_search=1&sf=%3Acode%3Aname%3Acommon_name%3Ashort_desc%3Adescription1&se=pinks&su=1&op=rm&sf=is_coupon&se=1&su=0&op=ne&sf=disc&se=0&su=0&op=gt&hide=1&submit.x=10&submit.y=11

My question should have been 'Has anyone had luck growing the taller (great scented) pinks such as "First Love"? And if so, did you use more lime, sand or grow in a shadier spot? Does Dirr comment on them anywhere? If it is our heat & humidity, I may try putting them under the mister with my brugs to cool them down. If they require a sweeter soil, I can add more lime or if they prefer sand or shade?

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Viola, Dr. Dirr is the woody plant guru, Dr. Allan Armitage is the King of Herbaceous Plants! :) I looked in AA's book and I guess the Dianthus you are referring to is D. barbatus. If so, he says add lime each year and full sun, or some shade is tolerated in the South. He says D.b. is technically a biennial but acts as perennial in the South.

Good luck. I should try more too since the deer don't eat them.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Cedar! I thought I had read somewhere of Dirr remarking about Baths & Firewitch for GA--duh, thanks for setting me straight. If you note the page of "pinks" on Bluestone some of them are not even classified.

My D. barbatus (Sweet William) has always done well even without the lime but does quit blooming during high temps and returns a bit when cooler--it is on a north facing slope with part shade. It is the others I want to grow successfully! Grrr. Guess I'll keep experimenting...

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Vi,

I also planted some "First Love" when I was in high school at my parents house. I bought them from a SE flower show display. My parents' yard is wooded, so they got planted in the sunniest part which is still shaded for about half the day. They had somewhat improved soil and were on a sloping area so they got good drainage. They did great for years and bloomed those pretty mutating white-pink blossoms. With the drought and lack of care, since I'm not there anymore, they have slowly petered out. I'm hoping there are a few sprigs left because I really loved them. I'd say plant them in good soil with drainage with morning sun and afternoon shade and you should do well. Mine lived at least 10 years although the clumps did move around a little as parts of the clump died off and new parts grew.

Hope that helps! :)

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Sure does Danita, THANKS for giving me hope!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.