Parrotia persica - how high does YOUR form grow

Navan, Ireland

Having grown 2 Parrotia persica for over 25 years, both are still only 2 -2.5m. in height, although 4m. in diameter. The R.H.S. dictionary says it should reach 8m. x 10m. and many of the illustrations on the net show a much larger plant. Do I have some mutant form or does it not like me? By the way, the autumn colour of this plant must be the best value on the planet (mid August - end of November)

Thumbnail by lortay
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I suspect yours is a weeping cultivar like 'Pendula' rather than the straight species. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/77233/

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm looking forward to seeing a full season of my recent Parrotia persica acquisition. The specimen I planted last fall is definitely an upright version of this tree/shrub.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine is 10+ years old and is easily over the roof of my 2-story house. I would guess approaching 20ft.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Here's an old 25 footer at Atherton High School, Louisville KY.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Fulton, MO

My two are both 8 years old and about 8'

Danville, IN

FYI: In Michael Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" he says, "(I)n Europe, most plants I have observed were rounded, wide-spreading, often with arching, semi-pendent branches." Also, "(A)t Kew Gardens there is a 10' to 12' high, 12' to 15' wide, stiffly weeping form of superlative beauty, the habit is akin to a large umbrella with a long handle with the ribs extending to the ground. The trunk is 12" to 18" in diameter and exfoliates like the species. My field notes also allude to pendulous forms that observed in Boskoop, Edinburgh Botanic Garden, Hillier Arboretum, and Rowallane, Northern Ireland. All were semi-pendulous to horizontal, not as decidedly weeping as Kew form."

Navan, Ireland

Thanks for all the contributions, folks. It is definitely NOT 'Pendula' (it's growth is more horizontal if anything) but HoosierGreen's reference to Dirr is very interesting. There are clearly a number of clones about which may not all be named. Unfortunately I have no idea where the plants came from as they predate me here.
Whatever, it is a fantastic autumn coloured tree, whatever the shape!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I suspect topophysis, or something like it, in the propagation background of your horizontally growing plants. Take a look at this report:

http://www.rngr.net/Publications/neftic/10th-northeastern-forest-tree-improvement-conference/the-relation-of-vegetative-porpagation-to-topophysis-cyclophysis-and-periphysis-in-forest-trees/view

This isn't terribly uncommon in the world of horticulture, when plants are vegetatively reproduced.

Navan, Ireland

Thanks Viburnum Valley,
I have come across this in cutting material, particularly conifers and this may be an example of the phenomen but referencing Dirr again, (Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs,Timber Press 1997): 'many trees, especially in Europe, are wider than they are tall at maturity' and again: " 'Pendula' is a confused entity in American horticulture. The true 'Pendula' has a stiff, umbrella like, weeping habit ...... what is commonly offered is a more or less horizontally branched shrub'.
Interestingly, I have not found reference to these differences in form in European literature.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Here it is at UBC Botanical Garden

Thumbnail by growin
Navan, Ireland

Hi Growin,
Yep, thats more like mine, ok, only larger.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I should'a said it's labelled 'Pendula' although I had trouble getting to the label on the trunk. The straight species is used as a street tree here as well as 'Vanessa' (pictured below). Your plant does look pendulous form.

Thumbnail by growin
Navan, Ireland

Thanks Growin,
I take your point about being 'Pendula' (see ref. to Dirr), but your photo raises another interesting question about Parrotia. Here the autumn foliage is red and orange. In your photo of 'Vanessa' and in the species in the Botanic Gardens here in Glasnevin, Dublin, the autumn colour is yellow (the plant is also wider than high). Mystery after mystery.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I guess it starts out red & orange and goes to yellow.

Thumbnail by growin
Navan, Ireland

Not here. My two 'trees' have quite different autumn foliage, (a) red and yellow, (b) red and purple, hint of yellow and thats the way they fall (eventually). The one in Glasnevin starts and stays yellow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.